Why wont my digital camera work

alcoolj 10:13 09 Feb 2004

I have got a precision mini digital camera and just cannot get it to work with my pc.I have installed the drivers over and over and all I usually get is a blue screen with a fatal error warning the camera has worked fine on a friends pc but refuses to work on my pc.I am running windows 98 se and have been told that the camera should work Iwill admit that I'm no pc wizard so any help to find out whats wrong would be great.
thanks alex

MichelleC 10:44 09 Feb 2004

It's unusual for 98+ windows driver-base or p&play install wizard to have probs. You could run sfc in case there's a corrupt system file. Is the pci card ok? Is the wizard detecting new hardware and just blue-screening on actual install?

Gongoozler 10:47 09 Feb 2004

Hi alcoolj. Can you tell us more about your pc, and the exact wording of the error message.

I am using Windows 98se and have had no problems getting it to work with my digital camera, but some earlier motherboards with VIA MVP3 chipsets do not work well on USB. Also, the card reader I use used to give blue screens and other problems until I updated the ASPI files click here. However, after updating the ASPI files, which are involved in CD reading and writing as well as the virtual drives such as digital cameras and card readers, my NERO 5.0 didn't work properly, so I uninstalled that and now use NTI CD-Maker which was free on a PCA magazine disk, and now all works properly.

Stuartli 13:39 09 Feb 2004

..the Serif forum on this camera (which sells for around £12.99 in my area(!):

click here

alcoolj 14:08 09 Feb 2004

my pc is made by some one called DAN as for its insides i would not have a clue.perhaps it needs new hardware to make the camera work i've downloaded the things that have already been mentioned and still no luck i think this pc could be to old for that sort of thing but anymore help will be great thanks for the advice given so far.is there anyway i can tell what type of mother board is inside that might help to start getting the problem fixed thanks alex

SirGalahad2004 14:13 09 Feb 2004

to find out the spec of your pc click here
and download AIDA32

Diemmess 15:29 09 Feb 2004

Can you confirm that you are connecting with a USB port? If so, have you anything else to show that USB is working properly?

Or : Are you using a card reader and/or trying to download through a serial port?

Stuartli 17:27 09 Feb 2004

Dan was not a person, but a very highly respected computer systems supplier for many years until the pile 'em high, sell 'em cheap system manufacturers' competition meant its sales figures began to decrease and it went out of business.

A great shame because Dan represented high quality standards and excellent backup.

Perhaps the person whose PC it worked on could check your system and see if he/she can spot the problem(s).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?