Why wont my bt home hub send ip address etc to my

rizlo29 19:13 03 Feb 2010

Because the hub wont send details, I had to set up network address manually. Ive just configured the hub and its dhcp enabled and set up correct, but still when i try it acquires network address unless i set it up manually?

Any ideas how to rectify this

THANKS.

retep888 22:22 03 Feb 2010

You said it used to work so can you restore your laptop to a date it worked.

Can you close the helproom thread and stick to this one?

mgmcc 20:09 04 Feb 2010

When you configure the adapter's TCP/IP settings manually, do you actually get online? Allocating 'fixed' addresses can effectively hide the fact that adapter and router aren't connecting properly.

rizlo29 15:38 07 Feb 2010

"When you configure the adapter's TCP/IP settings manually, do you actually get online? Allocating 'fixed' addresses can effectively hide the fact that adapter and router aren't connecting properly."

Yes I can get online when I configure the settings, but as soon as I check obtain IP address I lose connectivity and I get the old "acquiring network address." message.

PS Its been a few days since I asked this question, and I'm still having the same problem.

Oh and when I configure the router (BT homehub)it checked enable dhcp???

mgmcc 13:43 08 Feb 2010

If you can get online reliably by allocating the addresses manually, is doing that a problem for you?

rizlo29 17:50 11 Feb 2010

I'd like to know what is causing the problem? Also is their any underlining problem as Ive got no lease etc because I filled in the fields, so not obtaining from router???

mgmcc 20:26 11 Feb 2010

I suspect the problem lies with the PC rather than the router. Go into Services ("Start > Run", type SERVICES.MSC and click OK), scroll down to the DHCP Client entry and double-click it to open its Properties sheet. Check that the service is "Started" and that its Startup Type is "Automatic".

>>> Also is their any underlining problem as Ive
>>> got no lease etc because I filled in the
>>> fields, so not obtaining from router???

There will be no lease time if the addresses haven't been allocated by DHCP.

rizlo29 16:01 12 Feb 2010

Thanks mgmcc, that did the trick. I was starting to have problems too. For some reason, it worked fine for about a week (assigning myself the address)but for the past couple of days, I lose connection in the evening and need to reset the router to rectify the problem.

However, with your help the problem is now soeted...thanks.

PS before I tick this as solved, I have another question you might be able to help me with :)

When I go to run > cmd > ipconfig/all...it says I have a lease but the time of the lease is only one day whereas before the lease was a lot longer? Is this OK or is there a way to get a longer lease???

mgmcc 22:30 12 Feb 2010

The router's DHCP server will normally renew the lease long before it reaches its expiry time, so you shouldn't need to concern yourself with that. It's a process that runs automatically in the background.

rizlo29 22:46 12 Feb 2010

OK...,thanks.

Rayle 14:52 15 Feb 2010

Best place to ask is the BT forum

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?