Why wont all my USBs work on my PC

blinker 12:07 08 Jul 2006

I have a number of different USBs [UStorage, Viking, Dane and a Belkin USB Hub. I know they all work as I use them on my work PC. However, on my home PC only two work [one is a USB1, the other a USB2]. I also have 2 of the same model [Ustorage] and only 1 will work!!!. It has XPHome Edition SP2 installed.
Having read the previous threads I still cant find an answer. When I insert the USBs I get the hardware wizard looking for files, which it should not need to do. I get error messages in the driver ara of #1 and #28.
I have tried them in all the USB slots. The controller [I think as I am not great at this] shows up as a VIA Rev 5 or later. The devices show up as either unkown or IDE ATA/ATAPI.
Any ideas on what may be the cause?

splatter 12:47 08 Jul 2006

I had a similar problem a few months ago (click here)

Though I never actually found a 'proper' solution, re-installing Windows did fix, but that is an inconveinient solution to the problem.

Anyway, if you read through the replys that were posted there, then maybe some of them can be of some help!

Stuartli 13:23 08 Jul 2006

In Device Manager, USB2.0 will be listed as Enhanced if it is available.

However, you may have to Enable all the USB ports via the Bios - mine is set for the maximum eight which can be used.

May be worth visiting the Viaarena website for USB drivers as well, although if you have XP and SP2 these should be installed automatically:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?