Why is RAM so expensive?

simon_lambert 23:13 02 Mar 2007

2gb of RAM is well over a £100, yet a 2gb flash drive is less than £20. On Vista the flash drives can be used as RAM, so why the huge price difference. Is it different technology?

jack 10:32 03 Mar 2007

Very volatile market.
Where did you see that price
Also ever changing technology can mean older RAM for specific machines becomes scarce.
Have you checked out Crucial[www,crucial.com]?

Tim1964 12:59 03 Mar 2007

I would have thought that the memory in a flash drive is different to ther RAM in a PC as it retains the data when the power is removed whereas RAM does not.

The memory in a USB key is the same type as a SD card for e.g. and I guess that RAM is much faster.

Kata12 16:54 03 Mar 2007

I noticed that Crucial are selling 2GB RAM(incl.VAT) for £108 plus change.I too,would very much like to increase the RAM in my computer.unfortunately at the moment I can't afford that.but maybe someday.Crucial even provide tutorials on installing RAM which might be handy if one has never done that before.

Totally-braindead 19:25 03 Mar 2007

jack regarding where did he see 2gig flash drives for less than £20 click here and click here and click here and click here theres loads more.
I don't know the answer, I suspect its because PC memory is higher spec and designed to run at higher speeds than the USB drive memory.

jack 12:28 04 Mar 2007

Essentially Tim1964 is correcct in that assumption
Two differnt types of memory here, and at a guess all the media card/ pendrive memory is the same
"Flash Card Memory" where there are differing types of memory employed in "Random Access Memory"

squillary 05:08 10 Mar 2007

This is actually a very good question. You can get entire processors for not much more than a humble stick of RAM. Why they aren't tuppence a bucketful is a mystery.

Lots of different types of RAM? Really? Pull the other one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?