Why is PC Advisor shutting down on me?

dunderheid 19:03 15 Nov 2006

Since doing a complete reinstall of Windows xp, when I click on any message in PC Advisor to open it, Internet Explorer shuts down completely.

This is the only site where this is happening.

I have been coming here for years and this is the first time this has ever happened.

Anybody any ideas what's causing thisplease?

Please excuse me if I have posted in the wrong forum.

Forum Editor 19:08 15 Nov 2006

and of course we excuse you. I'll move the thread to the Helproom, where you'll receive plenty of advice. I would help myself, but I'm snowed under just now.

spuds 19:09 15 Nov 2006

I think that you will find that it is Internet Explorer that is the problem. I occasionally have the same trouble.

Try FireFox or Opera, and see if you get the same results.

By the way, Helproom would have been the better choice for this question ;o)

VoG II 19:12 15 Nov 2006

dunderheid - try a repair click here

Forum Editor 19:33 15 Nov 2006

of the post by spuds. These were still online when VoG™ posted, which explains his 'spuds!!' exclamation.

dunderheid 15:36 19 Nov 2006

Excuse the delay in responding. I haven't been able to post up till now.

I am not being notified either when anybody replies to my post.

VoG
I looked at the repair you recommended, but I don't have IE6 in the "Add Remove" Programs Section, and the repair seems to be for Windows 2000, but I would have tried it regardless!

I tried Scannow and it didn't work either.

The only way I can post here is by disabling all my Add-ons in "Tools" "Manage Add-ons" in IE and when I do that it knackers other web sites for me.

The PC Advisor site forums have only been inaccessible to me since I downloaded and installed the backlog of Windows Updates, which amounted to 63 in total.

This was after I did a complete reinstall of windows as I have said.

I would be grateful if anybody could come up with a solution, as I am sorely missing not being to read the posts on PC Advisor.

anskyber 16:46 19 Nov 2006

When you say you have downloaded all the Windows updates have you checked they are all in including the custom updates which oddly sometimes are very important to the functioning of some services. (eg I needed to update my Media player edition of XP before I could upgrade to WMP 11. That update is in the custom area.

Forgive me if this seems like an insult to your intelligence but when you installed the updates did you get IE7?

woodchip 17:01 19 Nov 2006

In Those Updates as Above you may Have downloaded and Installed IE7 a know problem. Look in Add Remove in Control Panel to see if IE7 is there under Microsoft

dunderheid 17:04 19 Nov 2006

anskyber
Forgive me if this seems like an insult to your intelligence but when you installed the updates did you get IE7?

Maybe you have hit the nail right on the head. Maybe there's an update that's specifically meant for the proper running of ie7 and it is interfering with my current browser, IE6

The reason I did not install IE7 is because I run IEClean, a privacy program, and it would not run under ie7

In relation to your other question. Please don't think I am trying to be funny, but what do you mean please by "custom updates" and how would I know that they are all installed?

anskyber 17:07 19 Nov 2006

If you go to the windows update site, after the usual validation bit the buttons appear to click to enable a check on which updates are available. The second or bottom one says "custom" and it will reveal all the non critical updates.

woodchip 17:07 19 Nov 2006

custom updates. Is a Button you choose when you do a Manual Download of Updates so you can say what you want, and remove the tick from thing you don't want

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?