Why no wireless?And what Ra do i need please?

buel 00:10 28 Mar 2009

Hi there, im halfway through spring cleaning my friend's laptop (5 seperate viruses, using 'Malware bytes') and the problem he has had for a while is his wireless doesn't pick up the nearest/any signal, i tried plugging my ethernet cable in to his laptop too and still didn't have any luck, has anyone any ideas please? (my laptop is connecting fine)
Also, his laptop (E-System, running Xp home, Intel celeron M cpu 1.46 Ghz, only 248 mb of Ram) is running a little slow so id like to add some ram for him but being as i cant get on line i cant run one of those memory-test tests online as i have done before with other pcs/laptops, please has anyone an idea?
Thankyou so much in advance-C

recap 07:49 28 Mar 2009

Ensure that all necessary software/drivers are installed for the NIC.

Most laptops these days have an icon lit up showing you there is a wireless signal. It resembles the old RKO antenna. If this is not lit up, look for the key with it on, usually the F4 key. Hold the Fn + F4 down this should then enable the wireless signal. Double click the icon in the systray to search for an available network.

buel 08:45 28 Mar 2009

Hi, thanks for that, the icon appears but it just says 'Wireless network connection: Not connected' and cant find the wireless signal that IS present (because im using it right now), it just wont find the signal, any other ideas please?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017