Why my PC cannot connet to internet!!

Sabi 15:13 27 Oct 2007

Hi;

I have a problem connecting to internet from my PC!
I use Windows XP, AOL V9, ZAISS (AV) , BT Voyager 100 and Ad-Aware SE

I am not a computer expert, so I copied bellow what I could found. I will be grateful if anyone helps me to fix the fault.

Many thanks

Sabi
-----------
I noticed under Network connection list there are:

Aol
Disconnected
Conexant D850 56k V.9xDFV (all in grey colour)

Aol Diagnostic test
Disconnected
ppp oEwin miniport (all in grey colour)

Local Area Connection (with a red X next to it)
Network cable unplugged (all in grey colour)

When I compared the above setting to my laptop (which is uses the same modem), they show the followings:
Aol-Dial on Demand feature, GlobeSpan USB ADSL LAN modem, The Internet (1) WAN Miniport (ATW) etc.

Sabi 15:17 27 Oct 2007

PS: By the way I use Broadband not Dial up.

Clapton is God 15:24 27 Oct 2007

The Conexant modem referred to in your message is dial-up modem.

What BB modem do you use?

Is it connected and showing as the default modem?

RobCharles1981 15:26 27 Oct 2007

Looks like hes using the BT Voyager 100 Router!

Sabi 15:47 27 Oct 2007

Thanks for your replies.

I use BT Voyager 100 modem. I don't know how and when the "Conexant modem" replaced itself with the previous one in the PC, but how do I change it to the one that connects me to Internet???

“Dell” makes the PC
When I got it (from a friend) it had the "Conexant modem" in and I couldn’t connect to Internet! However someone helped me to change that but I can't recall what steps I took!!
The only thing I remember is; I had to create "Globe Span USB ADSL LAN modem" through Device Manager!

Does it make any sense???

Sabi :-(

bluto1 21:45 27 Oct 2007

I will assume that you've got a CD from AOL to set up your internet connection, along with a set of instructions on how to do it.
If so, disconnect all of the broadband connection you've made, including telephone, and filters and re-connect following the instructions exactly.
This is what I and some friends had to do and it works as a repair to the set up.
If that doesn't work ask AOL for help, by email, showing them your opening thread here.
Best of luck Sabi.

bluto1 22:22 27 Oct 2007

Sorry, for disconnect resd uninstall and for connect read install. Silly mistake could have been useless.

Sabi 13:48 28 Oct 2007

Hi bluto1

Many thanks you for your reply :-)

I do have a CD from AOL but I had too much trouble when installing it last time (with SP2 etc.) that it is terrifying me to go through it again!!!!

Anyway if that is the last option I have, do I need to uninstall AOL from “Add/Remove” programs before installing it from the disc again???

As for calling AOL for help, I am not sure! They messed my computer up few times by giving the wrong instructions and so on!!

Sorry to ramble but I am at my wits end and wish there was a easy way to replace the "Conexant modem" with the one for Broadband.

Sabi
:-(

bluto1 17:14 28 Oct 2007

Sorry I've been so long, and yes, I'd uninstall AOL completely and do a complete new install.
You should have no fears of re-installing if you take things slowly and logically, and follow all on screen instructions exactly. Installing AOL B/B has little to do with SP2.
SP2 is a collection of Windows and Microsoft updates for your OS.

rohankm 14:17 18 Jan 2008

hi
heres one cool way to get awesome 200 % more browsing speed by changing 3 settings of the browser....its working great for me..check out click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?