Why is my memory like this

Legolas 17:59 17 Oct 2003

I have a faulty 256Mb stick of memory which causes my main computer to crash. I bought a second hand Tomato m/b from ebay a while ago for a basic second computer running a slot1 Pentium processor. I tried the faulty memory stick in it and although it only runs at 128Mb it runs with no problems.

I decided to upgrade the tomato m/b and purchased a new m/b from ebuyer, installed the faulty memory stick and fired it up, away it went with no problems...until I tried to install win XP and it repeatedly threw up errors. I spent a long time trying to work out what was wrong till I suddenly remembered the memory stick had been faulty so I swopped it with a good stick and away it went...so why is my memory like this.

Rayuk 18:01 17 Oct 2003

Because its faulty,end of story

Lionheart ♥ 18:10 17 Oct 2003

....so why is my memory like this.

Age got anything to do with it :)

plankton 18:13 17 Oct 2003

Or it could just be the wrong type of memory for the boards it doesnt work on???

Legolas 18:15 17 Oct 2003

Age has certainly a part to play ;-) The thing I find strange Rayuk is the fact that it works ok in one m/b but not another.

Legolas 18:16 17 Oct 2003

It worked in one of the m/b,s for months before it went faulty but then continued to work on another m/b strange.

Lionheart ♥ 18:18 17 Oct 2003

Sorry could not resist the quip.

Legolas 18:23 17 Oct 2003

No problem Lionheart ♥ I am of a like mind.

I started this thread really just for some discussion on the matter I don't really expect to get a definitive answer I hope that's allowed lol

plankton 11:57 18 Oct 2003

It might be that when its only using 128Mb, it doesnt access the faulty chip?

Legolas 12:57 18 Oct 2003

As I said this was for discussion and I did,nt expect a clear cut answer but thanks for all those who participated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?