Why is my broadband so slow?

Ridleyrider 18:41 25 Mar 2003

I have BT broadband but it seems very slow. The 2 green arrows on the right hand side of the toolbar indicate a upstream/downstream speed of 288/576. Does this mean it is half the speed it should be?

Why would this be - I am not downloading music and I am only using the internet to view. I am playing music through my MP player but this shouldnt slow the internet down should it?

Steve

VoG™ 18:46 25 Mar 2003

Is it actually slow or is it just the numbers you're worried about?

Upload speeds are always lower than download speeds.

powerless 18:46 25 Mar 2003

click here and do a spedtest.

Remeber it's busy period now. So it may run a little slower...

However click here are you in the area?

barrie_g 18:47 25 Mar 2003

the speeds are correct for 512k broadband, if your just concerned because some of the web pages take a long time to load this may be down to the site you are visiting or simply the number of people online slowing everything down, for a speed test click here

barrie_g 18:50 25 Mar 2003

tooo slowwww

Bebee 19:12 25 Mar 2003

I recently had broadband installed. Speed tests showed it was running as expected, but it still seemed a bit sluggish. I did a clean reinstall of everything, cleaned up unnecessary programs running in the background and increased RAM on my laptop (only had 64MB - Desktop was OK). I also downloaded RAM idle which keeps the RAM free. All this made a real difference to the speed pages display and how quickly IE6 and OE start up. The connection speed is not the only factor.

Hope this helps.

Bebee 19:18 25 Mar 2003

Picked up RamIdle from other threads - click here

Cacheman also looks interesting - click here

I'm sure there are other suggestions around.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?