Why minimising?

MickinPlymouthUK 14:27 10 May 2006

Hi, for some unknown reason my programs (games) keep annoyingly minimising to taskbar every 5 minutes,and I have to click to maximise them back again.
It only happens if I'm logged onto the net in the background but I have to stay logged to get a stream of e-mails from people sending me their latest strategy game turns.
I run regular AVG and Spyware scans but they come up clean. I've got McAfee firewall.
Just a guess but maybe some kind of gremlin is trying to get onto my system via the net and it causes my progs to minimise?
Any advice?

SANTOS7 14:32 10 May 2006

If your playing online games (or any) always a good idea to stop any auto-update progs, screensavers and the such, it maybe something like that

MickinPlymouthUK 19:40 10 May 2006

No I've got no screensavers or auto-updates and haven't changed anything to my system as far as I know. This minimising glitch came on out of the blue and I don't know why.
The HD gives a little whirr and then the screen minimises, perhaps the whirr means some outside gremlin or something is trying to access my system, tripping the minimise?

Jak_1 20:20 10 May 2006

Games are very memory intensive. What memory do you have, both RAM and on your graphics card? The more you have the smoother the game will run and allow other tasks to be performed.

MickinPlymouthUK 20:34 10 May 2006

512RAM and a 64Mb GeForce2 vid card.
The games in question all ran fine with those specs for a couple of years but now suddenly they start minimising out of the blue for no apparent reason.
I notice my server (AOL) has started using super-duper animated pics and stuff on their opening screen, so maybe the sudden drain on my system needed to handle them is tripping my minimise button as an unforeseen side-effect?

Jak_1 20:41 10 May 2006

Arrrrrrrgh AOL, I have another unsavory name for them! Try setting your home page to blank via Control Panel > Internet Options > Home Page, click on Blank.

This may help, unless there is a pressing reason why you want to start with your isp's home page all the time. I have mine set to blank page as default.

MickinPlymouthUK 23:36 10 May 2006

The Control Panel>Int opts>Home page looks a bit fiddly to change, so I just asked AOL and they told me it can't be changed, so it looks like I'm stuck with their unwanted Welcome Screen

rdave13 23:48 10 May 2006

To go online without using the AOL software then right click AOL icon in system tray and click on start aol dialler. You can then go on line without the software running in the background.

wolfie3000 23:49 10 May 2006

the problem could be your firewall noticing the game trying to connect to the net or another program trying to access the net,

Best to check your firewall settings so any programs that want access are given it or denied it depending on the program.

MickinPlymouthUK 00:11 11 May 2006

Dave,I forgot to mention I'm totally PC-illegitimate so your advice about the dialler went right over my head, what dialler? I'm broadband. And don't I need the AOL software to surf and stuff?
Wolfie - I disabled my McAfee firewall but the minimising glich still kept occurring.
As for checking the firewall settings, settings for what exactly?

rdave13 00:37 11 May 2006

On the bar at the bottom of the screen you should see the AOL icon. Blue square with aol logo. Right click this icon and you should get a list up. Click on AOL dialler then a box will come up for you to be able to log in to the internet without using the AOL software. You can then use IE as a browser or any other browser you have downloaded.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?