Why Linux?

noel_courtney 05:18 05 Apr 2009

Hi, I mentioned to a freind that I may be attemptng to custom build my own computer and he recoomended Linux instead of Windows. I was going to use Vista.

Can any advise pros and co for Linux?

Thx

ronalddonald 06:50 05 Apr 2009

been using linux for about a month now and i installed it under windows. The pros well if ind easyish to use its faster when i connect broadband and it comes with firefox. under windows you have to pay for the operating system, linux you just download it on to a disc

Ive used ubuntu know i using linux mint, The linux automatically detected my printer and my 3 usb modem. I dont have to worry about downloads there are downloads to load.

I do have an issue ith copying and pasting, if i copy something form the net and past it open office it comes out good after i done the updates, but when i tried to to do it before the updates the office application can crash.

click here for more info

citadel 18:34 05 Apr 2009

linux is no good for gaming.

noel_courtney 11:05 06 Apr 2009

Thats OK I,m not a gamer but I do a lot of photo and video editing graphics etc

canarieslover 13:26 06 Apr 2009

Why not have Vista and Linux as well on a dual boot basis? You can select which system to use as you boot. This will give you the familiarity of Windows and the opportunity to 'play' with Linux as and when you have time. You can then experiment with programs that are available for Linux to do all the things that you require. Pros are that you can get all that you want with Linux without creating a black hole in your wallet. Also there are so many variations of Linux that it makes it so much less likely that you will be bothered by viruse and malware. For any given system that you build it will almost certainly perform faster with Linux than Windows. The downsides are gaming and a bit of a learning curve to start with. Also peripherals will not come with Linux drivers on disk so you may have to search the net for them and hope that someone else has solved that problem for you. There are some good Linux help forums out there.

user8 15:22 06 Apr 2009

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?