Why is Kaspersky ver 2014 suddenly eating into CPU and slowing PC to a crawl?

SANAP 21:51 13 Apr 2015

I am using Win8.1 update and this year opted to install Kaspersky 2014 in february as all the good reviews turned my head and my trial of Mcafee was at an end. Until the last few weeks all was sweetness and light but first off I got dreaded extensions added to Chrome and that made kaspersky go berserk. I got that sorted from help on here. Now at the weekend I have kaspersky filling up CPU usage almost 100%. I did a bit of reading and the fix was to uninstall and re-install. That was OK for 24 hours now it has started again. To clear CPU I have to do a restart and I like my PC left on 24/7 and in sleep mode overnight. There seems to be no clear answer as to why kaspersky is behaving in this fashion. I have installed malaware bytes a paid version, and I use ccleaner and cleanmaster other than that PC is pretty empty.

Is it possible kaspersky does not like malaware bytes or is there a better solution?

SANAP 10:26 14 Apr 2015

Yes uninstalled Mcafee correctly as I had it before in an older PC. I dont use windows firewall or defender.

Thanks for reply.

Daisy_Michael 13:05 14 Apr 2015

Try the instructions under the Solution at click here & I hope this would help!

wee eddie 13:21 14 Apr 2015

Settings > Performance > Chose your poison

SANAP 17:39 22 Apr 2015

Just an update, this is still causing me grief, ie kaspersky just eats up cpu usage over a 24 hour period. I have contacted them but the resolution process is very long winded and they have now asked me to repeat it!! I don't know if I am just talking to a robot.

I did a bit of googling and apparently it may be caused by email scanning!! For the moment I have switched it off and will monitor it.

It so happens I am getting an error message on one of my email accounts, its called Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC19.

But I have 2 email accounts on the same server and the default one works normally, and I get emails from both. I am using windows live mail for the last 12 months!!

SANAP 14:13 08 May 2015

An update that KASPERSKY problem disappeared and I dont think I did anything BUT its back again but I have noticed a few more glitches.

1. It runs an update to the database automatically but this is now taking ages ie it shows 100% but still looks as if its updating. It never completes. The only cure is to restart pc.

2. I use more than one email account with windows live mail and I am getting a timeout message at regular intervals with an error message " the pop3 server has not responded in 60 secs" wait or stop!!

3. and i get a windows live error with numbers xcc008819 or such like.

Is there any fix for this please!!

kaspersky keep saying try this try that but no effect.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:39 08 May 2015

0x800CCC19 causes

Corruption in Windows registry from a recent Windows Live Mail-related software change (install or uninstall).

Virus or malware infection that has corrupted Windows system files or Windows Live Mail-related program files.

Another program maliciously or mistakenly deleted Windows Live Mail-related files.

suspect Kaspersky has delete some windows mail file have a look in the quarentine folder to see if any related files.

Try switching off windows indexing to see if that stops kaspersky fro constant scanning files.

SANAP 16:42 08 May 2015

thanks for reply, I have no files in quarantine!! I have now switched off indexing, and stopped the anti virus scanning emails!! I also did a search on that windows live email error and apparently its caused by some anti virus software( it mentions Norton and mcafee). And its a quite complex matter!! A great help knowing that.

I have stopped kaspersky updating automatically as well.

Kasperky is still running so I will do a reboot of pc later.

SANAP 09:09 10 May 2015

a final update, I did quite a bit of research and this problem with kaspersky is well known, the fix that will probably work for a while is to un-install and re-install kaspersky. I did that yesterday and all is back to normal. You would think a permanent fix would have been found by now as this dates back to 2012.

I got the package for a year but doubt I will extend it and the old maxim if it appears too good to be true it probably is, still stands. Kaspersky was on special offer ie half price.

The most worrying thing is it gets a lot of recommends and no mention of the glictches.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone