Why as Internet Explorer become unreliable!

spuds 15:06 12 Aug 2007

Been using Internet Explorer for a number of years, updating as available. Using IE6 I changed to IE7, but commenced having many problems so converted back to the beast that I knew IE6.

Sometimes when trying to use Internet Explorer its like trying to walk through thick treacle, extremely slow and unreliable, the computer is not responding with vigour hardly at all.

Regular computer clean-up is undertaken, so no fault perhaps there. I also use Firefox which always runs very smoothly. Nescape is another browser that I have on stand-by, but haven't really used it.E-Maeleon is another browser that I have tried, but that tried to take over the computer, so it was removed.

So returning to original question. Why as IE become unreliable. Any suggestion on possible improvements!.

laurie53 15:09 12 Aug 2007

You've already made the same improvement that I have - gone back to IE6.

spuds 16:29 12 Aug 2007

I know, but things have gone treacle fashion ;o)

Kate B 16:30 12 Aug 2007

Not a solution specifically, but have you tried Firefox? No treacle there.

Stuartli 16:34 12 Aug 2007

spuds does state that he also uses Firefox and that it always runs very smoothly.

Earthsea 16:36 12 Aug 2007

spuds, exactly the same as me. I use Firefox now. With its IE extension I don't see the point of using IE any more.

I think the IE7 update fudged it up.

Earthsea 16:39 12 Aug 2007

I thought about installing IE6 again but couldn't be bothered. It could be a solution.

laurie53 19:41 12 Aug 2007

Worked for me.

Even so I never use IE unless I have to, e.g. some sites simply will not display properly, or let you log in. in Firefox.

Earthsea 20:29 12 Aug 2007

Not even with the IE extension? I can use Windows Update okay with it.

laurie53 08:28 13 Aug 2007

Not installed it.

Hardly worth it I only need to use IE once or twice a month anyway.

spuds 09:57 13 Aug 2007

Using Firefox on a couple of websites and IE6 on another two this morning. No comparison, Firefox is definitely the winner again. IE6 seems to be stubborn. I will re-install IE and see if that helps to resolve the issue.

Thanks for the replies everyone, will now tick as resolved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?