Why I can't rename one of my "Favorites" ?

Antonio Machado 21:24 20 Sep 2009

Hello experts !

I work with Windows XP Professional (Pack 3) and a moment ago I wanted to rename one of my "Favorites" but I couldn't: it appeared this message "Error renaming File or Folder" "Cannot rename it. Access is denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use".

What can I do my friends ? I am sure the file is not currently in use. But I don't know what to do regarding to the "write-protection".

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions.

Best,

Antonio.

woodchip 22:02 20 Sep 2009

don't think you can as it's a url address

GaT7 22:07 20 Sep 2009

If you just need to rename the bookmark (& not the url as woodchip says):

Navigate to the folder C:\Documents and Settings\[your username]\Favorites & do it from there.

If you're still unable to do so, use Unlocker click here to 'unlock' any process(es) locking it & try again. G

Sea Urchin 23:19 20 Sep 2009

Where are you trying to change the name? I have XP Pro and can easily rename any of my favorites - not the URL but just the name.

Start - Run - Favorites - right click and select Rename - type new name and Enter.

Antonio Machado 01:46 22 Sep 2009

Hello Urchin:

Thanks for making time to help me. You are right, the steps you detail are exactly the same steps I always follow to rename all my favorites: Start-Run-Favorites-right click and select Rename-type new name and Enter.

Those steps function o.k. with almost all of my Favorites exception made of two or three. That is the problem I have. So I was wondering what to do regarding to the message "Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use".

Any suggestion about it ?

Thanks in advance, best,

Antonio.

GaT7 12:04 22 Sep 2009

'So I was wondering what to do regarding to the message "Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use". Any suggestion about it ?'

Hi Antonio, did you try my method & Unlocker? See my initial post.

First download & install Unlocker.

Then, if you're using IE:

IE > Favourites > right-click the bookmark you need to rename & select Unlocker.

In the Unlocker window, you can first unlock any process & then rename it, or simply select Rename & do it from there.

I realise this isn't the ideal method of renaming bookmarks, but you say only a few behave this way. G

Daiol 15:09 22 Sep 2009

Hi.Just opened my fav box,and right click on one of the favorites and i could rename it.??.daiol

Antonio Machado 01:59 23 Sep 2009

My friend Crossbow7: I followed your suggestion step by step, you are right, that "Unlocker" makes the job ! Thanks a lot for making time to help others !

Best,

Antonio Machado.

GaT7 13:16 23 Sep 2009

I'm glad that helped Antonio :-).

However, it has left me wondering why processes would be locking these URLs in the first place. Your system could be infected with malware or similar.

Run HijackThis (HT) click here, & post the resultant log in a dedicated HT forum click here (list in the left column).

You can also do a quick DIY HT analysis via click here. Do NOT manually remove anything on your own - ask for help on one of those forums. G

Antonio Machado 17:26 23 Sep 2009

Hello my friend: thanks again for your help, I'll visit those websites and follow their indications. Best, Antonio.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?