Why has the PC Died ? Help Requested !

dregn 18:46 25 Jan 2005

A friend recently asked me to fit a DVD writer to his PC. which I did. Everything worked fine.

The main board is an ECS K 7S5A 1.0 / AMD Duron 1.1 GHZ / 512 MB memory. It is running Win XP Pro.

Now, a few weeks later he found that when he switched on the power nothing happened and the unit appeared to be 'dead'.
First I swapped the mains cable for a known good one, without success. I guessed that perhaps the PSU had failed so I swapped with a good Antec 400W unit, again without success. There is no sign of life and I am at a loss to know what I should do next.Could it be a CPU problem or possibly a M/B failure ?

Any advice as to how I should proceed would be much appreciated.

mattyc_92 18:48 25 Jan 2005

Have you checked the fuses in the plugs???

Also try just connecting the Hard-disk, floppy disk and one cd drive and see if it will boot!!!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:55 25 Jan 2005

if psu does not click intro life then:

1. faulty mains socket

2. faulty mains lead / fuse /plug connections

3. switched off on rear of psu

4. power switch contacts failed

5. reset switch shorted

6. mother board or hdd or cd or dvd or other powered device causing overload dragging down psu

Derek 19:24 25 Jan 2005

When you say dead ! do you mean that you have no led's alight and not the slightest whiring sound from the hard drive.
If this is so then it must be mains input failure of some sort. I cannot imagine that two power supplies would be faulty.
Are you certain that the 'new' PSU is sound ?

dregn 19:46 25 Jan 2005

Many thanks for your speedy and helpful responses.
Food for Thought and I will act on the suggestions tomorrow and report progress.
Again, thanks a lot !

Gongoozler 19:48 25 Jan 2005

Unfortunately the last person to work on the equipment always gets the blame, whereas it's prbably a coincidence.

Try the ideas from Fruit Bat /\0/\. If you are absolutely sure that power is getting to the computer, then check that all the internal connections are secure, just in case you disturbed one. Then try as mattyc_92 suggests with only the basic drives. If that doesn't work, remove the memory and see if the computer boots to an error POST beep. If that doesn't work, also remove the graphics card. The next thing to try is to disconnect everything from the motherboard except the processor and heatsink, the ATX power connector, the power-on switch and the case speaker. If you still don't get a POST error beep, then you know that you have a faulty PSU, motherboard or processor.

*Silver*Hawk* 20:11 25 Jan 2005

No power, only possibility is the motherboard being dead or the mains line like others have said. Try changing the power cable.

mosfet 20:29 25 Jan 2005

At xmas,er indoors passed spare room (spare pc in there).Heard a bang/pop..smell of burning.

The pc was off but on at the outlet.To cut it short,as well as a psu,it took with it..mobo..vid card..k/board..cd/writer..floppy..2xhd's.

If she had not been passing I would have been at it for hours:0)

dregn 16:55 26 Jan 2005

I worked out how to remove the front plastic fascia ( having discovered that as well as the usual plastic lugs there were also 4 screws cunningly placed in awkward positions within the case - that only took an hour or so ! )
Et Voila - the cause of the 'power failure' was immediately apparent. The internal switch to the m/board had become detached from it's holder. One of four 'claws' on the inside of the fascia had broken and this released the switch.
I cut a narrow strip of Duct Tape and wound it round the switch housing and secured it - problem solved. I had had visions of replacing the m/board etc etc so BIG relief.
Thanks, everyone for your helpful input.
'We learn more from our failures than from our successes'.

Gongoozler 10:04 27 Jan 2005

Hi dregn. This is a fairly common problem with some "economy" cases where the switch is built into the front cover. I built a computer for my daughter using one of these cases and after about a year it suffered the same problem. I used a tywrap to do the same job as you did, and then used hot-melt glue to make sure the tywrap doesn't slip off.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017