Why is the hard drive partitioned on new laptop?

MuDelta 11:48 08 Feb 2007

I bought an Asus F3F laptop recently. I am well pleased with it but I am surprised to find that the hard disk is partitioned into a local disk (C:) and DATA (D:). This has never been done with any of the desktops I have owned; my questions are: --
1 Why has this been done this? What are the advantages/disadvantages?
2 Would it be a good idea to reduce the size of D or to eliminate it? How do I do this?

My OS is XP Media Center 2005 – Could this be something to do with it?

Kate B 11:49 08 Feb 2007

The reason is that if you have to/want to reinstall Windows, you do it on the C partition and it leaves your data intact.

Smiler 11:51 08 Feb 2007

What are the sizes of the partitions?

As Kate B states it's so you can retain your data should a reinstall be necessary.

MuDelta 12:30 08 Feb 2007

Smiler, C is 42 and D,28.

I understand what you and Kate B are saying but it still suprises me that I have never had it before.

Thanks for your comments.

Kate B 12:54 08 Feb 2007

It's good, if slightly picky, practice to arrange your HDD like that.

David4637 13:17 08 Feb 2007

Find about Acronis TI 10 and you will be pleased your drive is partitoned, so if the OS goes "pear shape" you can restore it in about 10 minutes.
"THE BEST THING SINCE SLICED BREAD" David

MuDelta 18:19 09 Feb 2007

Thanks all, you have answered my question. I will keep it as it is until I need the space for something else and then I will make it smaller - with Paragon Partition Manager - see Feb. cover disk.

Thanks again.

Weskit 18:35 09 Feb 2007

Surely if you need more space you can use either partitions without having to alter the sizes of them?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?