Why does XP pause for a few seocnds...

Murray 18:45 23 Jan 2003
  Murray 18:45 23 Jan 2003

I have had windows XP for a few months now and got used to it.

But there are still a few niggling problems, like every 1/2hr or so (randomly) the system hangs - the mouse doesnt move, for about 3-5 seconds then it wakes up again, and runs as normal...

I have tried to download the latest motherboard drivers, but their site is offline (Jetway 845ePro MB). I have all the latest service packs and updates, except the irrelevant ones...

Any thoughts - I have a P4 2GHZ with 256DDR RAM, so it shouldn't suffer at all should it.

This happens even just after booting, with no programs running.

XPert 18:59 23 Jan 2003

It seems the system/graphics card may be getting a bit warm and freezes untill the system cools. This can be solved by moving the Graphics card away from the proccessor. This worked for me anyway. If you have a built in card (no seperate graphics board) try sucking dirt out of the power supply fan with a hoover to aid cooling.

XPert 19:00 23 Jan 2003

OBVIOUSLY MAKE SURE THE POWER IS TURNED OFF BEFORE GOING INTO ANY COMPUTER!!!!

Murray 19:03 23 Jan 2003

...But with an AGP graphics card, you cant really move it, will try cleaning it out next time it's off.

Last time i checked it was runnning around 28C and 40C (sys/cpu temp).

I know about turning the power off - once i dropped a screwdriver into a machine when it was on - made all sorts of noises, needless to say crashed, but worked again - could be worse...it was only a P100 tho'

XPert 19:06 23 Jan 2003

Sorry, didn't realise it was AGP. Maybe consider adding an extra fan to the system? I am unsure of what type or how to fit it but I am sure someone could help you if you put up another post.

XPert 19:10 23 Jan 2003

Sorry, didn't realise it was AGP. Maybe adding another fan to the system would aid cooling? E-Buyer (click here) do great deals on all computer related hardware and software. You could try buying a £5-£10 auxillary fan from them.

XPert 19:11 23 Jan 2003

stupid thing. didn't post first time, then posted twice!

Murray 19:14 23 Jan 2003

I may be wrong but my first instinct isn't temperature because the temp inside is nowhere near the max temp it scould handle (~60C????) - i seem to remember it was only just above room temp.

Will try running it with the side of the case off for a while - see if that makes a difference then get another fan

any other thoughts...?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone