Why does System32 folder always open?

GeeWizzz 21:16 19 Jan 2004

Everytime I start my PC and Windows XP Pro starts up so does C:\WINDOWS\System32 folder.
Why?
I've looked everywhere I can think of to stop it needless to say without success. It's a minor problem compared with some but anoying.

Any bright ideas greatfullt received

©®@$? 21:17 19 Jan 2004
  beeuuem 21:30 19 Jan 2004

Go to click here and go to item 260 in the right hand column and download the fix.

spikeychris 21:37 19 Jan 2004

beeuuem, the same fix is in the link from ©®@$?

beeuuem 21:42 19 Jan 2004

I got confused with all the references to registry tweaks :-)

spikeychris 21:49 19 Jan 2004

Thought I'd go the whole hog ;o)

Tk_RiceZ 01:22 20 Jan 2004

can't remove it, it says registry value not found

temp003 02:20 20 Jan 2004

Another possible reason for the system32 folder opening at startup is you have a registry entry for a startup application which fails to give the path to the .exe file or the path is invalid.

When an .exe file is included as a startup item, but the path does not contain any folder (e.g. the entry is just abc.exe), XP by default looks in the system32 folder for the abc.exe file. If the registry entry contains no such abc.exe file, or the registry entry is null (that is, nothing is written there), XP opens the system32 folder.

Check in msconfig first. Click Start, Run, type msconfig and press Enter. Select the Startup tab.

Look under the "Command" column. If you have an item with no entry under the command column, untick it and click OK. Otherwise, you'll have to check all the paths to the exe files under the command column to make sure that those files exist.

If you can't find anything in msconfig, post back.

GeeWizzz 16:53 09 Feb 2004

... I have been quietly observing the discussion and trying a few of the suggestions without success.

The main thing I notice is that try what may nobody seems to have solved it. Once gotten one cannot shake it off...it always returns.

So is it worth all the effort when all I have top do is click on the little b*gg*r each time it appears. I think not -unless someone knows better...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone