Why does my Skype keep cutting off?

LisaJennings 20:15 04 Jan 2009

Hello, I hope you can help. When I try to Skype from my laptop to other people's Skype works fine but from my laptop to my mum and dad's Skype keeps cutting off? It's intermittent but sometimes it can be as bas as once every minute or so. I don't know if it makes and difference but I use a Macbook and my parents a laptop with Vista. Please help as I would love to speak to them without it cutting off as we live so far away from each other!
Thanks a million!

iscanut 20:43 04 Jan 2009

May not help, but make sure both you and your parents are using the same version of Skype. Also, where are your parents ?

ambra4 00:04 05 Jan 2009

Make sure that your parents is using Skype for Mac OS X

click here

ambra4 00:21 05 Jan 2009

Sorry thought your parents was using the mac are you sure that the skype setting is correct on your present pc

ambra4 00:23 05 Jan 2009

should "Read parents PC"

oldbeefer2 08:54 05 Jan 2009

It can be caused by slow connection. My daughter uses a mobile connection in Sydney which can only just cope with Skype and does drop out from time to time. In case the problem is caused by the wireless link, they could try connecting the laptop to router with a cable to see if it makes a difference.

Technotiger 00:02 09 Jan 2009

What webcam are you using, it might not be compatible with Skype. I video-chat with my son who lives in Lanzarote (I am in UK), he is using a Mac Desktop, I am using Win XP. My webcam is the Logitech 9000Pro and my son uses a Logitech 4000 on his Mac. When he first set-up Skype he found that there were only about three webcams World-wide that would work properly between Mac's and PC's.

We have some great video-chats.

oldbeefer2 10:34 09 Jan 2009

My son uses a Mac laptop - his built-in webcam works fine via Skype to my PC with same cam as you. Perhaps Apple have sorted the incompatabilities.

Technotiger 21:52 09 Jan 2009

Hi, my 9000Pro was one of the three that work with Skype between Mac and PC, my son's 4000was another and there was one other, but I can't remember which it was. But as you say, it might have changed since my son and I first set-up our connection.

Technotiger 22:01 09 Jan 2009

Nope, still the same, this is from a Mac site on Webcams ....

Note: Only a VERY FEW Logitech models are UVC compliant or work on a Mac! The above two Pro models (9000 and 9000Pro) are absolutely UVC-Mac compatible; Most other Mid-To-Low-End Logitech cameras are NOT UVC compliant: Depends on model #, ever-changing and confusing product names, different internal sensor & part numbers! Choose carefully.

oldbeefer2 12:44 10 Jan 2009

Techno. Interesting, but seems no problem if the Mac is a laptop with built-in. I guess care is needed if it's a Mac desktop. With the reducing cost of the 9000Pro, I'd think that one of the best routes to go for anyone in the market.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?