Why does my new NETGEAR not just plug in and go

Merseymcpat 16:52 05 Mar 2007

Hi
I recently purchased a replacement for my NETGEAR DG834G v2 wireless router which has been on the fritz (I have to reconnect every 8 minutes or so – which is a pain). A fried installed the original for me but they are no longer around and being naïve I thought, as I had bought an identical router, all I would need to do was plug it in instead of the other (I know all you clever clogs are grinning and saying silly woman). Could anybody spare the time to describe in simple language, for this idiot, what I need to do to get it functioning?
Many thanks.
Pat

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:19 05 Mar 2007

who are you trying to connect to? ISP?

If your ISP gve you a setup CD, connect the router to the PC with an ethernet cable and run the CD.

uesquebeathus 17:53 05 Mar 2007

Believe me no one laughs at any ones problems.

What is the name of your isp = internet service provider, Virgin , Telewest, Madasafish, BT, AOL UK ,Tiscali, Orange etc for example, each has its own format and stages for a setup. We can only help if you give us the information.

Merseymcpat 18:24 05 Mar 2007

Hi
Thanks for replying.
The new NETGEAR router did not come with a CD just advice to visit the NETGEAR website. I do however have the CD from the original router would this be OK or is each CD specific to each router?
My internet provider is talktalk. I hope this helps?
Many thanks.
Pat

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:00 05 Mar 2007

Do you have a TALKTALK CD?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:06 05 Mar 2007

Set-up could not be easier; NETGEAR’s Smart Wizard install assistant automatically detects and makes the best connection to your ISP (Internet Service Provider).

or

If you use Ethernet you wont need to install any software on your PC. Simply:-

~ Connect the router to your computers Network card using the supplied network cable
~ Browse to click here
~ Log in using the default settings username = admin and password = admin
~ From the left hand menu select Basic
~ Select WAN settings
~ Click on the pencil icon on the top right hand side
~ Set your username and password as given in your TalkTalk welcome letter
which should be in the format of [email protected]
~ Click Submit
~ Click Save all
~ Click OK

terryf 19:10 05 Mar 2007

Advice given re a new virus/trojan is that you should change the password from the default and write it down on the side of the case -?driveby pharming??

Stuartli 19:30 05 Mar 2007

But if you use a different password before first logging on to TalkTalk you won't be able to connect at all.

One small point about the original TT password used to log on to the service is that it's a mixture of lower case letters and numbers; using capital letters renders it invalid.

Miké 20:32 05 Mar 2007

The Netgear has a facility to backup all the settings to your HDD, re-connect the faulty Router and select'Backup Settings' then after load this file into the new router.

Merseymcpat 12:22 06 Mar 2007

Hi
Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I will have a go following your advice and let you all know the outcome.
Pat

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?