Why does monitor screen turn Black?

pcbobby 17:08 09 Oct 2008

For several months the monitor (LCD) turns black for about 3 seconds, returns to normal for about 3 seconds, then black for another 3 seconds and back again to normal. This can happen off or on line, there is no loss of connection or work.
This can occur at anytime during PC activity – in most cases it is just once and rarely twice in the session.

At first I thought that it might be the monitor, but having just acquired a new Acer 19”, I am still confronted with the same problem, which leads me to think that it might be the PC.

It is a Powerc built AMD Sempron 3000+ Athlon.
OS XP Home.

I would appreciate any comments from members has may have had a similar problem.
Thank you.

MAT ALAN 17:13 09 Oct 2008

Hey Joe, Hows it going.

you could try updating graphics card drivers or altering the colour settings...

Regards Dave........

pcbobby 17:18 09 Oct 2008

Hi Dave, thank you for that, I shall have a go later and report after dinner.

Yep, all is well here.
Kind regards
Joe

PS. How about that?? Screen has just blacked out!!!!!!! all back to normal.

chub_tor 17:18 09 Oct 2008

The next most likely cause after the monitor is the graphics card or the cable.

Did you change the cable when you got your new monitor? If so and you know that the connectionss are tight then you will need to go into the PC and make sure that the graphics card is securely seated in its socket. If you still have the problem then can you borrow a graphics card to see if the fault still appears?

I am also presuming that the PC screen comes back normally after its temporary blackout and that the PC continues to work normally. If this is not the case then you may have a different problem.

pcbobby 17:33 09 Oct 2008

chub_tor, thank you.
I used the cable supplied with the PC. Yes, I have checked the connections.

Re the graphics card, I will check this tonight.

DieSse 17:45 09 Oct 2008

Just had a very similar problem myself. A new graphics card cured it.

If your graphics is on the motherboard, you may still be able to cure the problem by fitting a separate graphics card.

chub_tor 17:46 09 Oct 2008

OK so are you saying that the cable you are using with the new monitor is the same cable that you used with the old monitor? Because if this is so it could still be a cable problem not a graphics card problem. You need to swap out the cable if you can to eliminate the cable as being the cause of your problem.

pcbobby 18:06 09 Oct 2008

chub_tor, sorry!
Yes, I have used the cable suplied with the new Acer. My old cable is still on the old monitor that died on me.
I missed an answer to your other question. Yes the PC functions normal after the tempory blackout.

DieSse, thank you. Re graphics card that was going to my next question: How do I recognise the graphics card?

MAT ALAN 18:16 09 Oct 2008

click here

this will tell you exactly what components you have..

I might even get round to that cup of tea, how long's it been, only about 3 to 4 years LOL...

pcbobby 18:39 09 Oct 2008

Thank you Dave. As before, you are most welcome for tea!!

Will now download your link - then have a look inside the PC.

back later

MarvintheAndroid 18:45 09 Oct 2008

The following may be possibly to blame ...

Power supply - insufficient power
Graphics card overheat
Northbridge chipset overheat
Faulty power management

If you are not losing data, it is almost certainly not CPU, RAM or HDD - just something interrupting the graphics output signal and invoking the monitor SLEEP function.

(I assume you don't get a "loss of signal" type message on the monitor screen.)

I have a similar problem with Lego Star Wars PC game, where the screen goes black after 10-15 minutes (but the game play continues). If I hit ESC to go to the game menu the display is restored and I can carry on as before for another 10-15 minutes. However the temps (CPU/GPU/Northbridge) are lower than some other games which don't have this problem. Wierd.

Marv

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017