Why does FDD keep 'breaking'

mo674 21:18 27 Dec 2003

I am now on my 3rd FDD after the first one had it's light on for days. I ralised the cabels were ok and thus the drive was probably nacked. As such bought a new one and within 1 day it had bust. Took it back to shop and said it was faulty and got a replacement. That has now gone - All in the space of a week. Any ideas why this is happening as another of my postings requires me to get a bootable FDD to run HDD diagnostic tool as i think HDD may be nacked. What a merry Christmas i am having!!!

VoG II 21:22 27 Dec 2003

If FDD cable is on all the time it means the cable is the wrong way round.

VoG II 21:22 27 Dec 2003

I meant

If FDD light is on all the time...

mo674 21:26 27 Dec 2003

I have little sockets (male + female) on Motherboard and FDD cable. They can only fit one way as the male goes in to the female. I ran a previous post asking why and several people advised me tio check cables. I was working with drive on one day and then the next it's light stayed on - I did not even touch them. Quite simply all my other FDDs have since worked briefly then stopped. On boot up the light does not even show. It is not the cable.

fred 21:29 27 Dec 2003

Sounds as if it is worth trying another cable.

VoG II 21:32 27 Dec 2003

No, you need to twist the cable through 180 degrees.

SGT [email protected] 21:47 27 Dec 2003

its 99% always the cable being plugged into the fdd the wrong way round

woodchip 21:48 27 Dec 2003

Could it be the motherboard that's faulty? try the drive in another comp if possible

woodchip 21:50 27 Dec 2003

PS as mo674 says some floppy drive cables only fit one way as they have a peg and notch system

fred 21:55 27 Dec 2003

Cables can easily be fitted the wrong way. Double check.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache