Why does black printing need colour?

Dobba 18:33 28 Sep 2007

I have an HP Photosmart printer C6180 "All in one". It is a very good printer but uses the five separate colour cartridges at an alarming rate. The first job I did (With all cartridges therefore full)was to print a 250 page book in black, but I found that although the black cartridge coped well, the book had also used up half the yellow cartridge! Does anyone know why this is and what has the yellow cartridge to do with printing in black?

woodchip 18:41 28 Sep 2007

Best ask Printer Manufacturers, I think it's so they sell more ink. If they have a full Black cart then it should use it not mix ink to create a dirty brown

Belatucadrus 20:02 28 Sep 2007

Depends on the purity of the black you're printing, if it's a genuine black with a CMYK of 0 0 0 1, then the printer should only use black.
click here
But few people select black with that degree of precision, so colour may appear black to us, but not the printer. The printer tries to blend to match whatever the colour is, effectively wasting the colour cartridges. Have a look in the printing preferences for your printer, it may be possible to select black text, depends what the manufacturers software has built in.

amonra 20:14 28 Sep 2007

If you are going to continue to print large numbers of black only pages, then I would suggest you buy a cheap laser printer. There are some available for £40 to £50 which would work out FAR cheaper in the long run.

laurie53 20:15 28 Sep 2007

I have this printer. If you wish to use "Black Only" you can select it in Printer Properties.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?