Why does anyone still use AOL?

manrow 09:51 08 Apr 2008

Just enter google with "AOL problems", and the answers come in from all over the world.

Especially anyone who uses this forum should be well aware.

FatboySlim71 10:14 08 Apr 2008

I wouldnt go back to AOL if they were the last ISP on earth.

Stuartli 10:35 08 Apr 2008

>>Just enter google with "AOL problems", and the answers come in from all over the world.>>

Or any other ISP come to that.

No perfect ISP has been on offer to date - some are just a bit better than others.

Your thread smacks somewhat of vindictiveness, especially with the line that "...answers come in from all over the world."

manrow 10:50 08 Apr 2008

Sorry Stuartli

if it sounded vindictive. My reference to "...answers come in from all over the world." was merely to indicate that it wasn't only in England that AOL have trouble. Our home grown ones are not 100% either as you rightly state but I gave up AOL nearly ten years ago (when they offered totally free dial-up connections - briefly!), and none of my friends currently use them, for reasons which keep appearing on websites including this one.

If the problems were new I would not have posted my criticism.

carmichy 10:58 08 Apr 2008

I first started using AOL since version 3.0 I have often been surprised at the amount of complaints against it. All the years I have been using it I have not have a lot of problems. It is only in the last 2 years that I have seen the increase in complaints,maybe even going back to when Time Warner took it over. Like all ISP's they are trying to improve but have not yet found the solution to make them perfect. So find s good ISP and then stick with it.

Stuartli 11:21 08 Apr 2008

So why are you STILL banging on about it?

jack 14:40 08 Apr 2008

AOL is a Brand' a way of doing things
In USA Time-Warner have it
In the UK Carphone Warehouse have it
So what exactly in those circumstances is AOL?
A Software?
A Particular Server?

Many ISP's are simply 'labels' buying server time
It would be interesting to see the wood through the bracken of 'suppliers'
To me at any rate the industry can be likened to the Power Industry- the multifarious 'Suppliers' supply only Invoices in the main - The stuff you burn is supplied by National Grid.

Snec 15:29 08 Apr 2008

Since you asked.........

We have been with AOL since 2000 and have no reason to leave.

With three computers 'permenantly on' we currently enjoy an up to 8Mb rock solid connection (actually between 6.2 & 7.5) plus free phone calls for the princely sum of £9.99 per month. Good deal, I reckon!

provider 2 15:56 08 Apr 2008

For many it has to do with the amount of "stuff" we can get for quite a reasonable price, too much to list here but if you are really interested, then clicking "view all" in the various groups will explain:

click here

rdave13 17:20 08 Apr 2008

Main reason is my better half likes the browser and doesn't understand the others. (Shops icons on AOL favourites bar), other, less important reason, good service, in general, for over four years.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone