Why do so many people hate Norton?

Thomo1 19:10 23 Dec 2004

Read a few posts over the last month or so about Norton and that the fact alot of people cannot stand it.

Take away the fact you have to pay for it,(imagine there were NO free AV downloads).

What is it about Norton that people dont like??

I have had Norton AV and firewall2004 and now have NIS2005.

Although i admit the updates are not very frequent (every Wed), and when LiveUpdate is running it seems to use all of the computers memory i have never had any problems with it.

Just curious as to why its on the bottom of most peoples wanted list.

Totally-braindead 19:12 23 Dec 2004

I use Norton and have never had a problem with it so am happy to keep using it but from what I have read there are a lot of people out there who have had problems hence they hate Norton as you put it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:14 23 Dec 2004

Hogs resources, Costs for updates, Conflicts with just about everything.

VoG II 19:18 23 Dec 2004

I wouldn't say that I hate it - I just don't like it.

I stupidly put it on my daughter's laptop (PCW had an offer on).

She managed to get something nasty and Norton just kept on putting up a big window with only an OK button. Nothing could be done until this was clicked. This popped up about every 5-10 seconds making it impossible to use the machine. I ended up having to turn Norton off in order to remove the pest.

Also during live update the machine is practically unusable.

Now it keeps popping up messages that the subs are due in January. Well, they won't be paid as I will be putting AVG and Zone Alarm on instead :o)

961 19:20 23 Dec 2004

1 My anti virus updates at least daily and sometimes more

2 My anti virus tends to work alongside the other programmes on my computer

3 My anti virus does not take up all the computer's resources

Djohn 19:21 23 Dec 2004

more a case of preferring other applications to do the same work. Norton products are first class but has Fruit Bat /\0/\ says the full suites can be quite heavy on system resources and will slow an older or less powerful machine down quite a bit.

Thomo1 19:21 23 Dec 2004

"Also during live update the machine is practically unusable."

aye i will agree with that!!!!!!!

Diodorus Siculus 19:22 23 Dec 2004

Back in 1991, I had an essay on a floppy disk which got corrupted.

After a long period of panic, I took it into the university PC Support team.

They ran Norton Disk Doctor and retrieved my essay.

Was a big fan of Norton disk doctor, AV, system works and so on until 2002.

Then worked out how to do these things for myself for free... registry editing, defragmenting, uninstalling, problem finding and Avast AV.

Got rid of Norton Systemworks and bought Norton Ghost.

So, do I hate it?

No.

Do I use it?

No.

Djohn 19:24 23 Dec 2004

and has VoG™ also says. But once again he has beat me to the draw. Think I will hang up my guns as I would be outdrawn every time ;o)

absent 20:50 23 Dec 2004

I have not used any norton progs for years, mainly for reasons already stated but I also found uninstalling them did not always undo some of the changes they had made to my system.

Sans le Sou 21:02 23 Dec 2004

Its true Norton likes a lot of memory, my machine has 1 gig and you don't know Norton is present, however the same program on my wife's machine rendered it unusable until I shoved in a load more memory, now only slightly slower than anti Norton. Does not create problems on either machine. (NIS2003)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?