Why do NOF sites no longer centre properly...

ade.h 20:14 17 Mar 2006

...in anything other than Internet Explorer?

My earlier sites were/are okay across all browsers, but I updated one recently and that has now lost its ability to centre.

A new site project is suffering in the same way. NOF 8 has not had an update or other change in ages, so why now?

It seemed to start with Firefox 1.5, but it goes deeper than that, as Opera is now affected in the same way. I know that quite a few of you have been experiencing the same problem recently.

I'm going to email the NOF support folk and see what they say.

barryoneoff.co.uk 23:39 17 Mar 2006

about this a couple of weeks ago. It's annoying me. I have even put a message on my site advising visitors not to view it in FF or Opera.

FF also doubles the height of table cells as well.

If you do get a reply from NOF please let me know the answer!

Cheers, Whiz...

mco 08:12 18 Mar 2006

I had a problem with one particular page doing that too, adeh awhile back? However I then changed to NOF9 and mine seems ok again -atleast on Opera; Firefox is on my other pc so I'll check that later. But would be interested to hear, like barryoneoff, what NOF say about this issue.Will go and check out that thread you started barryoneoff.

barryoneoff.co.uk 14:16 18 Mar 2006

No different at all, although it claims to have integrated FF into it's coding method.

ade.h 14:56 18 Mar 2006

I will ask for some feedback from NOF at the start of next week, and hopefully I may have something to report in a couple of days.

It's really bugging me because most of my sites are centred.

DrScott 17:24 18 Mar 2006

Are you using tables or layers?

It shouldn't matter what software you're using as long as the code is sorted. I had some trouble with layers centering, but did eventually manage to crack it. If it is this that's the problem I'll post what worked for me.

ade.h 17:40 18 Mar 2006

I don't use tables (not knowingly anyway) and the only layers that I know anything at all about are the ones in image editing!

(There is a reason why I use the simplest webdesign software around!)

DrScott 21:59 18 Mar 2006

Erm okay.. I've never used NOF, but if you want to put in some text, do you draw a frame (like a text box) and write in that? If so, it's likely layers!

ade.h 22:26 18 Mar 2006

Yeah; basically it's like DTP. You select the text tool and draw out a box, which can be dragged around and resized.

DrScott 13:33 19 Mar 2006

So it's layers then :) Next step, are you happy editing the HTML?

What I do is draw a layer in which everything goes, including any other layers / text boxes. I then group these layers inside the larger layer.

Next I go to the html that describes this layer, e.g. #mainlayer

Then

#mainlayer {
position:absolute;
left:50%;
top: >half the width< px;
width: >however wide the main layer is<px;
height:>again up to you<px;
margin:->half the width<px;

Essentially put the left at 50%, the top distance at half the width of the layer, and the margin at minus half the width.

Example from my site:

#navlayer {
position:absolute;
left:50%;
top:382px;
width:765px;
height:1034px;
margin:-382px;

And hey presto it will centre horizontally in any browser. To centre vertically as well I have to think about a bit, since I've done it before but it was a bit of a faff!

ade.h 15:42 19 Mar 2006

"Are you happy editing HTML?"

No! I know virtually nothing about such things.

The other limitation with NOF is that until you publish your site - locally or remotely - there is no HTML to edit as such, and there is no inbuilt editor, only a viewer. Certain elements of code can be added to for certain parts of the content when in page view, but not much.

I would have to download the server content, edit it somehow and then reload it. Beyond my skills.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?