Why do I have to keep reinstalling my

pj123 17:00 21 Mar 2006

Epson Perfection 3170 Photo Scanner?

Every 3 or 4 days if I try to scan something all I get is an error message, "Epson Scan cannot be started. Please use the Troubleshooting Assistant to solve the problem. Do you want to open the the Troubleshooting Assistant?"

At first I said "yes" but it didn't solve the problem. I found the best and easiest way was to reinstall the scanner drivers again, and it works perfect for a few days then it goes into the error message again.

Running Windows 98SE.

howard63 20:09 21 Mar 2006

have you by any chance updated the epson driver - those for xp are not realy compatible with 98se.

pj123 20:20 21 Mar 2006

I have only ever used the CD that came with the scanner, which says, Disc Vol 1.2

The scanner works perfectly after a reinstall, but only for a few days. I have emailed Epson and have had an automated response saying my query is being attended to. Will wait and see what they (Epson) recommend.

howard63 20:37 21 Mar 2006

is this an old style scanner that uses the printer port lpt1 and daisy chains with the printer? If it is your printer is doing it - I have a dim memory of a similar problem way back when I got my first ever scanner.

pj123 20:53 21 Mar 2006

No, it was first released in 2003. It is USB 2.0 and 1.1 compatible.

Full spec here: click here

Have just reinstalled the drivers and it is now working OK again.

pj123 11:28 22 Mar 2006

Epson have responded with a comprehensive "What to do" list. I have already done most of things on the list but will try again. At the moment it is still working OK as I reinstalled yesterday.

johnnyrocker 11:32 22 Mar 2006

try latest drivers from epson site?

johnny.

pj123 12:10 22 Mar 2006

johnnyrocker, thanks. Will do that as well, if there are any.

pj123 11:14 23 Mar 2006

Scanner stopped working again today. I tried the Epson site for a driver update yesterday but all I got was "Page cannot be displayed".

Will try again today.

Sethhaniel 11:17 23 Mar 2006

notice if I look in temp files there are files twunk etc if they are left alonfe my scanner keps working ok if ccleaner clears these out the scanner has to perform a fresh warm up routine ;)

pj123 11:36 23 Mar 2006

Sethhaniel, not running ccleaner but I do use CleanUp every Sunday, plus a small DOS batch file which resets the "index.dat" files back to their defaults, after which I do a complete backup of all my data/files. This is my regular Sunday routine. My previous scanner (Umax) never had any problems. I bought the current Epson because it has Film and Slide facilities.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

Black Friday Deals for Designers & Artists: Adobe, Apple, Corel Painter, Microsoft Surface, Wacom &e…

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires