Why do I get spam meant for other people

newface 20:26 09 Oct 2007

I often receive spam with an email address that is similar to, but not actually mine. Eg if say my e-mail was [email protected], I get it for [email protected] or [email protected] I get enough rubbish coming to me at my proper e-mail address, so I don't need any more.

Has anyone any ideas as to why this is happening, does it happen to anyone else, or am I just plain unlucky?

Ashrich 23:24 09 Oct 2007

If you could expand the addresses it was sent to , you'd see yours in there somewhere . What is happening is that the spammer is mass mailing every combination it can generate ending in your ISP's address , so it would say ...spuddy , spiky , spiro , etc. it's just that your email client can't show them all . I was often getting these several years ago , until I bought my own domain name , now I have a filter that is adjustable via my sellers web site so I can filter things before it is sent to me , for a few pounds a year ut works better than any mail washer or software spam filter .

Ashley

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?