Why do files copied in CD Write become Read-only?

Newuser3450 16:50 29 Apr 2003

When I copy some files to a CD for safe keeping or re-using as templates, they all become read-only. How can I make them as usable as if they had been copied to a diskette?

Many thanks in advance for any tips

fitshase 17:10 29 Apr 2003

CD-R's are in normally once written and then can only be read.

CD-RW's are different.

If you have copied the document to a normal CD-R then the file is read only because it cannot be changed. A floppy disk has a write-protect tab so you can make files read-only on them by simply moving the tab to Protect. A CD does not have this and, as mentioned above, once the data is written on a CD, it cannot be changed and re-saved on the CD.

Regards

Fitshase

DAICAP 17:13 29 Apr 2003

As far as I know you cannot. I've seen this query in several magazines and the only way to sesolve it is to copy the files back to a folder on the hard drive and then reset the attributes, by selecting all files, right click, choose properties, then untick the read only box.

The reason for this problem is cds are a read only media once the files have been written to it.

Pesala 17:15 29 Apr 2003

It stands to reason that files written to CD-R disks are going to be read-only, however, if you format a CD-RW disk using InCD or Adaptec Direct CD you can save files to them with the read-only attribute being set, i.e. as if they had been written to a floppy disk.

Taran 18:35 29 Apr 2003

The secret is in the name:

CD ROM = Compact Disc Read Only Memory, although some people refer to it as Compact Disc Read Only Media.

The files are a permanent record on a media type (CD) that cannot accept alterations once they have been written to.

Hence the "Read Only Memory" name. It is memory because it remembers (stores) the data written on it, and once it has been written to it cannot be altered.

If you want to store items that can be altered, I'd suggest a second hard drive where you can store your data files and access them as normal.

An external hard disk means that you can use the files on any PC with a suitable connection point, and a USB Zip drive runs a good second place where it connects (like many external hard disks) via a USB port to your PC and is treated just like your current hard disk by your computer, allowing you to write, rewrite and read files.

Using packet writing as mentioned above by Pesala is certainly a possibility but it can be a little flaky at times, especially if you intend changing the files often. CDRW disks that can be rewritten many times are not the most stable of storage media and if you choose this method I'd suggest you keep at least two copies of everything otherwise sooner or later you'll lose something important.

If it was me, I'd look for either a USB external hard drive or a USB Zip drive (the Zip 100 in the least expensive), which at least gives you the option of using your files on almost any computer with a USB port.

One final point about the external USB Zip disks; Windows 2000 and XP do not even need a dedicated driver for USB Zip drives. You can just plug them in and off you go. Very handy.

Regards

Taran

rickf 21:01 29 Apr 2003

All you have to do is save the file back to a place of your choosing, probably my docs. Open it there and you can then do your changes.

temp003 04:21 30 Apr 2003

Or when you've copied the file from the CD back to the computer, right click the file, select Properties, and untick the Read-Only attribute. Click OK. Then you can change it.

Taran 17:35 30 Apr 2003

I meant to add, before I posted the above, that the obvious and least expensive solution is to keep your backup copies on CD and if you need portability, carry the few templates you regularly use on floppy disk or USB memory stick.

It's reasonably fast, convenient and they are easily stored.

If you don't need portability to other PCs, follow the advice given by others above to remove the Read Only attribute once you've copied the files back to your computer for editing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?