Why do 16x DVD-R only run at 2x on my laptop?

as400man 16:01 22 Feb 2006

My laptop is fitted with a universal CD/DVD writer Slimtype DVDRW SOSW-852S (PRS7). When I check the drive spec using dvd writer software it shows write speeds of 1,2,4,8x. I have never been able to record at more than 4x and when I tried 16x DVD-R disks the max it would allow is 2x.
Any idea what is happening here?
I have also tried +R (and +RW)and they nearly always fail to work, hanging the PC by constantly running without doing anything. Occasionally a + disk will work fine. The drive spec shows DVD-R/RW DVD+R/RW.
Anything I can do about either of these problems?

Thanks and regards,
Chris

Smiler 17:55 22 Feb 2006

try this firmware update
click here

HOW TO INSTALL
Please read and follow the detailed firmware update instructions
on our Check Your Burner page at...
click here

RECOMMENDED TAIYO YUDEN DVD MEDIA for your Lite-On Laptop SOSW-852S ACER OEM Drive
Taiyo Yuden DVD Media comes in both +/-R types, and features your
choice of a blank silver or white inkjet printable top surface.

as400man 20:39 22 Feb 2006

I'll try it tomorrow. I've never updated firmware and I assume it is non-reversible. Any comments before I go ahead?

Many thanks and regards,
Chris

Smiler 16:24 23 Feb 2006

How to Install Firmware -- Caution: Installing firmware is usually simple and generally only takes a few minutes. However, improper installation can damage your drive, so you should perform updates carefully. First understand that firmware upgrading is done at your own risk. If damaged due to a improper firmware upgrade installation, neither the manufacturer nor anyone else will repair or replace or repay you for the drive. If you're unsure about upgrading, please contact your drive manufacturer at their website support pages and seek their instructions or help. Upgades are usually permanent once performed and often cannot be undone, except in a few cases on some models. Newer firmware usually improves the drive's overall reliability and performance, making it more compatible with different brands of discs, and improving the playability of discs it successfully burns. See your manufacturer's tech support pages for firmware installation instructions, possible software conflicts and more cautions, then follow these suggestions... Basic Steps: (1) Download the firmware upgrade to your disc for your burner, linked below. (2) Remove any disc from the burner. (3) Reboot your computer, so that the memory will be as fresh as possible. (4) Quit any programs that may be running automatically, such as screen savers, virus checkers, instant messagers and so on. (5) Close any Internet connections if open. (6) Launch the upgrader program you downloaded. Follow its on-screen instructions as directed. (7) Do not turn off your computer or do any other activities during the upgrade process, until the upgrader program reports that the upgrade is complete. (8) When the upgrade is complete, you may Check your Firmware Level as described above and you should see the new upgraded level.

as400man 17:35 23 Feb 2006

I have downloaded the upgrade as suggested. I get two files PS01.bin and Readme.txt. I was expecting an executable file to apply the upgrade. I do not understand the 'instructions' in the txt file.

The instructions above say 'Launch the upgrader program......'?? Any help much appreciated.

Regards,
Chris

Smiler 18:46 23 Feb 2006

Try this one click here

use the psx3 link

but read the disclamer at the top of the page.

as400man 19:44 24 Feb 2006

Thanks for taking an interest. I updated my firmware as suggested (using Flash Fix in the process)and the results are very good. Although my burner still show the same write speed (4x)the DVDs are burning at half the elapsed time - 15 minutes instead of 30 mins. And it also suggests that I can now record dual layer which is a real bonus if it works.
You pointed me in the right direction so I owe you one. Top man.

Chris

Smiler 15:11 25 Feb 2006

Your welcome :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?