Why can`t IE8 64bit be the default browser?

Cymro. 17:46 29 Nov 2010

My new computer runs Windows7 64bit. In the All Programs list there are two versions of IE8 one a 64bit and the other 32bit, If I click on Tools, Internet Options then Programs there is the usual space to tick IE8 as the default browser. On the 64bit IE8, clicking on the same box brings up the wording IE8 64bit can`t be the default browser. Can anyone explain this to me? I understand the difference between 32bit and 64 bit, but why is it that IE8 64bit can`t be the default browser and does it matter anyway?

Fingees 19:42 29 Nov 2010

I use windows 7 64 bit.

Usually I use opera as browser.

However I keep IE8 64bit as sometimes some places need IE.

Reading your question,I started IE8 64 bit browser, and on the bottom appeared
Do you want to make IE8 your default browser?
I said yes, and it works ok for me.

And it definitely is the 64 bit version, as I removed the 32 bit one

All the best

northumbria61 23:21 29 Nov 2010

Cymro - I get the same as you (although I am a Firefox user mainly) but from Start - All Programs - selecting the 64 bit version of IE it opens - going to - Help - About - shows it is the 64 bit version that is "open" but closing IE and opening again it reverts to 32 bit. As you say "IE8 64bit can`t be the default browser"

Maybe the only way to make it default to 64 bit is to remove the 32 bit version as per "Fingees!

Cymro. 10:18 30 Nov 2010

I take your point about removing IE8 32bit but wonder why it is actually on the system at all. There must be a good reason for it being on there although I cant think what.

With having a new computer I am actually removing all the junk they put on for free so would be very willing to remove IE8 32bit if I was sure I had no need for it.

I am having no problem with my new computer so am only asking out of curiosity and the fact that knowing may be of use to me and others.

Cymro. 17:26 30 Nov 2010

I hope I am not pushing my luck by saying that I am having no problems with the new computer.

northumbria61 17:38 30 Nov 2010

cymro - "I take your point about removing IE8 32bit but wonder why it is actually on the system at all. There must be a good reason for it being on there although I cant think what"

It appears that both versions are "duplicated" on the install disk but I am of the opinion that Microsoft should have made an option in "Internet Options" to allow 64 bit to be the default browser - probably something else they have "overlooked"

rdave13 17:45 30 Nov 2010

Possibly to do with Flash; click here

northumbria61 17:50 30 Nov 2010

rdave13 - thanks - that answers that query.

Cymro. 10:50 01 Dec 2010

I could not get the Nabesco speedtest to work on the 64bit IE because there is no Adobe Flash for it. Apparently there will soon be one available.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017