Why can't I download emails to my Outlook Express

Springheel 08:01 07 Apr 2004

A friend is trying to send me an email that is 3mb in size. It has a video clip attached to it. I have just upgraded from ME to XP Pro and use a dial up connection with Blueyonder. When I go onto webmail the email is in my inbox but when I try to download to my PC I keep getting error messages to say that my server has not responded and do I want to keep trying? Once I have deleted it from my inbox on webmail all other text mails download OK. Is this too big a file for Outlook express to deal with? Didn't have this much trouble when I ran ME. Any suggestions please?

recap 08:30 07 Apr 2004

Press F1 to get the help menu from here you can find how to send an e-mail that you suspect is to large. If you ask your friend to confirgure this on their computer it may fix the problem.

Extracted from Help.

On the Tools menu, click Accounts.
On either the Mail or News tab, click Properties.
On the Advanced tab, select the Break apart messages larger than x KB check box and then enter the maximum file size the server will allow.

Stuartli 08:33 07 Apr 2004

It may be that your ISP limites the size of files that may be sent via e-mails; a look at its website should reveal the details, probably in the Help section.

lamda 11:29 07 Apr 2004

into my postings

GaT7 11:58 07 Apr 2004

You may also want to check that the "Do not allow attachments to be saved..." box is unchecked in OE. Open OE. Go to Tools -> Options -> Security -> Virus Protection & uncheck the above box.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?