Why can't I delete files on a CD-RW ??

AngeTheHippy 18:46 29 Sep 2004

Totally confused now, I'm copying stuff onty CD-RW as I'm gonna reformat, only to find that when I try and delete files from the CD it won't allow me to do so!! First it says 'files are read only-cannot delete' (or summat like that...)so I changed it to 'archive' and not 'read only' and then got the message: An error occurred applying attributes to the file: E:\afile\cat.jpg. Access denied. Then says stuff like: You can carry on copying to this CD but this file will be overwritten.

Now whadoIdo??

AngeTheHippy
xx

Benzo 18:50 29 Sep 2004

cd-rw's allow you to write things onto them, then add more things onto them, but you cant delete the things that you have allready added to the disk, you can completly erase the disk however and start to fill it again, hope this helps.

benzo f.

SEASHANTY 20:14 29 Sep 2004

But if you had a DVD recorder, such as the LG, capable of reading and writing to DVD-RAM discs, then you can delete and add indefinitely without reformatting. LG GSA-5120D external Super Multi DVD Rewriter (all formats) reviewed page 31 current issue No. 173. Computeractive Magazine. Out tomorrow Thursday 30th. Sept. 04.

pj123 20:20 29 Sep 2004

You have two options. If you formatted the CD/RW you can use it just like a large floppy disk. Add and Delete at will. If you didn't format it you have to use the programme that you burnt to the disk to delete files, providing you burnt it as a multisession CD. eg. Nero. To delete files on an unformatted but multisession CD/RW you need to go to Add New Files, which should bring up a list of the files already on the CD. Highlight the file you want to delete and right click on it and select Delete. That does not delete it right away. You have to continue and do the burn again. This is the way I do it using Nero 6.3 and Windows 98SE.

bretsky 21:44 29 Sep 2004

Use this great little program or get it on the Nov issue of PCA, it's completely free and the help files are brilliant click here

Whatever disk media you are using it will cater for. Whatever you are burning, just remember to use the multi-session disk option that's if you intend to add more data later on, because if you close the burning session you will not be able to add more data, the disk will become read only.

bretsky ;0)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:02 29 Sep 2004

What software are you using to write to disk?

The CD RW requires diferent type of file system than a CD R

XP will write to a CDRW if you enable recording on that drive.

MY Computer right click CD drive select properties and then recording tab - tick box enable recording on this drive.

AngeTheHippy 08:51 30 Sep 2004

Benzo, thanks for that - just tried your suggestion and it certainly works. Annoying though, if you've put loads of stuff on only to want to remove some, having to wipe clean and start again.

SEASHANTY, Don't have one ... 8-(

pj123, <<If you formatted the CD/RW you can use it just like a large floppy disk>> format it using what? Nero? I've got that...

Bretsky, will have a go of this, I've got it 8-) -

Hello Fruit Bat /\0/\, Oh it writes to disk ok, the method I'm using for these CD-RW is drag and drop - which works when WRITIING to the disk, but doesn't the other way round - can't drag n drop OFF the disk - or are they just not capable of that action?

Thanx all,

AngeTheHippy
xx

Stuartli 09:59 30 Sep 2004

Are you using InCD?

You can also use a CD-R in multisession form to keep adding files, utilities etc and then Finalise it when it's full prior to the last files addition. Cheaper and, because a CD-R is more reflective than a CD-RW, more reliable.

pj123 10:36 30 Sep 2004

You use InCD to format CD/RWs. You should have an icon in your system tray somewhere near the clock. Just right click it and select Format. Normally, though when you insert a blank CD/RW disk in the drive it should automatically open a dialogue box asking whether you want to format or not. The choice is yours. InCD is part of the Nero Burn package.

AngeTheHippy 10:54 30 Sep 2004

I do use CD-Rs in multisession, but thought as I'm doing this copying before reformat (it'll go straight back on the HDD when formatted..)I'd use the RWs instead.

pj123 - I didn't install InCD, but think I better had!

Thanks both,

AngeTheHippy
xx

AngeTheHippy 18:18 04 Oct 2004

thanks! Installed InCD and formatted a CD-RW - took ages, about 20 minutes, but it works a treat.

AngeTheHippy
xx

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?