Why can no-one read my 'works' documents

kizzie1 20:20 19 Oct 2005

Hi everyone - sorry Im sure this is very basic question but just not sure what to do about it.

I have microsoft xp installed on my new pc. This has 'works' word processor which I have found fine for producing basic documents.

However Ive just emailed a document to two different people and neither are able to read/open it.

They have word rather than 'works' so does that mean that I need to convert my document first in some way before I send it? And how do i do this?

Thanks for any help.

Kizziex

VoG II 20:33 19 Oct 2005

Try File|SaveAs and save in Rich Text Format (.rtf).

wee eddie 20:35 19 Oct 2005

M$ Works saves document files as xxxx.wps, which are unreadable by most other Word Processors.

However, when you decide to send a Works document to someone else, try this,

File > Save as > .rtf or .tft

.rtf is Rich Text Format and will display almost all your document as you prepared it.

.tft just displays the text of the document.

kizzie1 20:39 19 Oct 2005

Thankyou so much for quick reply! Ive just tried to save as rtf file which works but this takes away all the formatting I did in 'works' (inserted text boxes etc). This isnt the end of the world but is there anyway of keeping the formatting.

Also, last question, if this isnt possible and I need word to be able to share documents with other effectively what is the cheapest way to get it (or do i need to buy full office pkg).

Its a bit confusing really because i specifically told the dell salesperson that I needed 'word' to write reports etc which i could then send to others but he said works was exactly the same and was easy to file share.

Oh well.

Thanks

kizziex

wee eddie 21:32 19 Oct 2005

Look in Start > "All Programs" for Word.

Most versions of Works come with Word as an extra feature.

kizzie1 21:55 19 Oct 2005

unfortunately word isnt there but thanks 4 advice anyway.
kizziex

VoG II 22:03 19 Oct 2005
  kizzie1 22:26 19 Oct 2005

thankyou! I just downloaded that and it said all done but now cant seem to find where it 'is' on my pc. Ive done a search on 'start menu'. Not sure what Ive done wrong there but thanks for help.

Simsy 03:59 20 Oct 2005

another alternative is to convert them to . pdf files... if the recipients don't need to amend the files and return them?

EVERYONE can read those.

If this would be acceptable you will nedd to get a PDF creator. There are free ones.. A quick search on google should reveal some.

Regards,

Simsy

kizzie1 09:23 20 Oct 2005

Thankyou!

Jackcoms 09:31 20 Oct 2005

"another alternative is to convert them to . pdf files... if the recipients don't need to amend the files and return them?

EVERYONE can read those."

I thank you rather overstate the case. To read .pdf files assumes you have Adobe Reader or another .pdf reader installed and I doubt very much if "EVERYONE" has it installed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone