Why are these files at the end of my HD?

hel333 19:57 10 Oct 2003

I just installed a new HD and reinstalled win98 and all my programmes, data etc. Made some mistakes so after a couple of uninstall/reinstalls decided to defrag my HD using Norton2001, and optimise swap file. Noticed a little bundle of files right at the end of my HD and on checking they are a mixed bunch of stuff - e.g. mozipcd.exe, mozctl.dll, bongo.gif, npmozax.dll, port-cancel.bmp, port-status.bmp, article.gif, localstore.rdf, igm1500.dll and about another 24 files. So, my question is, are they innocent? why are they there, so detached from the majority of files on my drive? I do use adaware and Norton antivirus, I'm not too worried, just curious really, any ideas oh helpful folk?

AubreyS 20:00 10 Oct 2003

Just try doing a web search in Google for each of these files.

hugh-265156 20:05 10 Oct 2003

mozilla for most of them dont know what igm1500.dll is

woodchip 20:11 10 Oct 2003

Speed disc put old files at the end of the drive if they have not been used in a while

woodchip 20:12 10 Oct 2003

PS are they in blue

hel333 20:22 10 Oct 2003

The Google search is a good idea, I'll try it, thanks. Woodchip, I'm not sure wht you mean by "are they in blue?" They are blue like "applications" (I think) in Norton defrag map. I didn't think I had Mozilla on my system, but found a folder in Windows/Application data called Mozilla so I guess I have!

R4 20:23 10 Oct 2003

Defrag or Norton Speed disk puts low usage files at the end of the disk.

If you arre using Norton look in the 'Legend' for the meaning of the colours. Blue is normally 'infrequently used files.

woodchip 20:29 10 Oct 2003

In the Norton Map they are different colours for the type of file and position in the map brown goes to the front when optimised followed by green the dark blue. Lite blue are old files date wise

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017