Why are my web pages dissapearing???

Real PC Virgin 13:39 10 Nov 2006

Stupid bloody virgin here again

Can anyone tell me why when I minimise a web page it dissapears all together as if I have closed it down???? It is really doing my trolley in especially when I am on here and trying to follow advice, because I cant swap from 1 page to another!!! Please someone save my sanity, before my pc goes out the window!!!

anskyber 13:57 10 Nov 2006

If it is disappearing and not going to taskbar the try this click here "minmised progams missing."

a far better idea would be to upgrade to IE7 assuming you are on IE6 now and you have XP SP2. The tabbed browsing is instant and will do what you are missing. Have a look here. click here

Real PC Virgin 14:32 10 Nov 2006

Well if it is going to taskbar, I m not sure how to retrieve it for example I minimised my pc banking this morningthen I couldnt find it so had to reopen and log in again.
Although I am not sure I would imagine that the computer would be quite up to date so it may already have ie7 (how would I know) I am on XP Professional I think, but my husband used to do all that for me.

anskyber 14:36 10 Nov 2006

Which button are you using to minimise, is it the red one with the white cross in it?

Real PC Virgin 14:44 10 Nov 2006

I might be thick but not that thick lol no the -,having real probs with the puter now had to just reboot then because it not open the click here links either.

anskyber 14:51 10 Nov 2006

Yes sorry I was not wishing to be rude but sometimes the question must be asked!!

I still think IE7 will do the job for you, unless there is a more involved problem here.

Real PC Virgin 15:02 10 Nov 2006

LOL no probs, how do I get IE7 then or how do I know which version I have? Thanks for all your help by the way too.

anskyber 15:05 10 Nov 2006

First of all click here it will tell you towards top right which browser you are using. I must ask do you know if you are on Windows XP and is it up to date?

Real PC Virgin 15:12 10 Nov 2006

Browser says IE7. It is either XP or XP professional, I would assume it is up to date because my husband was always updating our pcs

anskyber 15:28 10 Nov 2006

OK. This is how tabbed browsing works. It allows several web sites to open in one page but leaves a little tab across the top with the web sites name on it. You can then move between sites instantly by clicking on the tab you want. There is no need to minimise because you switch by the tabs.

To see if it is set up for you can you find near the top tools. It may also look like a wheel. Click on it then click internet options.

Near the bottom of the new box you will see tabs, click on the settings button. Make sure there are green ticks in the boxes saying

enable tabbed browsing
always switch to new tab when they are created
open new tab next to current tab

and anything else you want to happen
When you have finished with the tabs box and close it click apply if you need to on the first internet options box.

You will need to restart your PC after that.

Real PC Virgin 12:17 11 Nov 2006

thanks anskyber I do switch from tab to tab, but before I was also able to minimise now it just dissapears, which is a real pain.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone