Who's taking over my PC

Mike48t 17:44 20 Nov 2006

Hi new to this, My browser appears to have been taken over whenever I start up, it gets this warning,(Warning virus [email protected], and loads of other info about a virus, and that I need to download this programe to cure it) and even though my home page is set to my MSN, it keeps coming up with this page
click here

I have latest update of AVGrisoft, and it gives me no indicatin of problems. I think this has only started happening since I download Mozilla firefox to use as a browser.
Any help or advise please.

VoG II 17:50 20 Nov 2006

Try click here

Or run HJT click here and post your log on the MWR Forum click here

ashdav 23:25 20 Nov 2006

Do not click on Mike48ts link.(click here)
It is suspect.

p;3 04:49 21 Nov 2006

already sussed that point ; I tend to just hover the mouse over these links to see where it might be going and, as the poster stated that when he clicks on his msn it gets diverted to the click here, I declined TO click here::))

p;3 04:59 21 Nov 2006

Mike48T; as this thread is in the beginners section, I suggest you decline from using your e mail client (outlook express or outlook?)until you know your pc is clean from possible infection , ; and would recommend you do as suggested by Vog and register at the malware forum to get the pc checked out and cleaned

of interest, do you have any idea where you picked this nasty up from?

NotSureBoutThis 05:27 21 Nov 2006

p;3

Re your comment "I tend to just hover the mouse over these links to see where it might be going"

Thanks for that. something else I have learned.

p;3 10:22 21 Nov 2006

hovering the mouse over links I find is a very good method , especially if one reads what the poster has been up to ; I have learnt from my own experience to assume that all links are suspect until proven otherwise(and I expect some one may jump on me for saying that , but that is my chosen practice, ); also people use links via dodgy uploading sites and hovering the mouse over the link to see which site they have used tells me which link has been used

of interest, there are many thousand members on here, all with their own tecniques for keeping their machines clean;some are known to run without any protection whatsoever

it is my intention to keep my machine clean;

and Mike48t how is the computer cleaning progressing?

NotSureBoutThis 13:43 21 Nov 2006

p;3

Thanks

May I just ask?, how do you know if a link is suspect or not, just by hovering your mouse over it? what infomation am I looking for, to tell me it's suspect?

Forum Editor 18:28 21 Nov 2006

if a link is suspect or not, just by hovering your mouse over it?"

You don't - you can't possibly tell, unless you have some previous knowledge of the url being linked to. In this case, eprotectpage.com, the url being linked to is a well-known problem.

NotSureBoutThis 19:26 21 Nov 2006

FE

"In this case, eprotectpage.com, the url being linked to is a well-known problem"

Only to those have are experienced!

VoG II 19:32 21 Nov 2006

If somebody posts that his homepage has been hijacked and it keeps going to anothersite.com don't click the link!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?