White strip on Laptop Screen?

Will 20:03 16 Aug 2009

I have just returned from holiday, switched my laptop on and there is a braod white strip down the screen. The strip is on top of all the programs I bring up. It is like having a piece of white paper over the screen? It is not effecting the operation of any of the programs or the computer as far as I am aware. Anybody any ideas? There is a possibility my son tried to use the machine while I was away but it is password ptotected. Please help

jack 20:07 16 Aug 2009

When you get the screen up- which will be a text screen- is the white strip still showing?

However using the up/down keys mose to last know good... and
Click enter
Whats is the result?
Report back.

Will 20:25 16 Aug 2009

yes the white line is there when going into the F8/F2 screen??? So it looks like the screen right? Never having had the screen casue problems before what would the prognosis be? will I have to replace the screen, is it cheaper to buy a new laptop and transfer the data. Thanks for your help so far.

Will 21:03 16 Aug 2009

I have checked the cost of new screens and was wondering if it is at all difficult to rreplace a laptop screen? I build my own computers is there any black art to laptop screnn replacement?

jack 20:40 17 Aug 2009

So you have a trip of white.
Then what a screen running off the other side is it a complete screen?
In CRT monitiors and desktop LCD monitors there is a selection of controls to move the image left right/up-down-how do you do this on a lappie - check your manual or Google for your make of laptop FAQ's poke around some more - I don't think it is the death knell just yet.

DieSse 21:09 17 Aug 2009

Whether it's the actual display, or the graphics chip, or the cable between the two - repair is probably uneconomic in a laptop.

Exactly what model laptop is it - this may dictate the price and availability of spares.

A new laptop will have a new guarantee of course. Repair an old one, and you've still got an old one.

If you have a monitor you could try it in the external monitor post - this would tell you where the problem is, but not help you fix it.

Will 02:08 02 Sep 2009

mOVED ON TO GETTING A NEW SCREEN IT WILL BE ABOUT 70QUID. I HAVE ALREADY HAD THE BACK OPEN BUT TRYING NOW TO GET THE SPEC OF THE PANEL HENSE THE NEW POST. THANKS AGAIN

Will 02:09 02 Sep 2009

tHANKS

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?