White screen

Meshuga 18:27 29 Dec 2003

My screen has suddenly gone from it`s normal blue
to white and the desktop icons are larger than normal. I also cannot send emails and it asks me if
I have entered the correct servers name. I`ve tried using system restore but that wont work.
I`m using Win ME.Any suggestions for a novice
please or is it a call to the repair man. Meshuga.

cheeky 18:37 29 Dec 2003

do you get a blue triangle come up? If so this could be active desktop recovery kicking in due to a software problem. Thius could be a virus scanner or corrupt foile spomewhere creating this problem. Maybe someone out there can give you a better answer but have a look at your virus software. If it's Mc Afee I am haviing a similar problem with this.
The other thing may b e a graphics driver causing this problem, so again check you are up to date on this.

cheers

Meshuga 18:49 29 Dec 2003

Hi cheeky.No there is no blue triangle, just the white screen with the desktop icons. The pc is new
bought 11th december and has been working ok until this suddenly happened.Im using another pc to post this. Thanks for your help. Meshuga.

Right click anywhere on your white screen, click on properties, then on desktop and see if the colour is white.If it is, change it back to blue.Click on appearance and see that the font size selected is normal.

Meshuga 21:47 29 Dec 2003

Thanks ELECTRON99. I have done as you suggested
and got back the blue screen and normal icons but
whatever caused it in the 1st place seems to have affected my emailing as I cant send mail and get
an error message telling me to check my server setting, which I have done and they are ok. Thanks for your help.

VoG II 21:49 29 Dec 2003

Have you tried a System Restore?

adviseclive 22:09 29 Dec 2003

If you have not installed too many programs yet it may be a good idea to use the recovery disc normally supplied with new comps to re format back to factory settings. Will need to re-install your ISp software etc so make sure you have the discs ready.

adviseclive 22:10 29 Dec 2003

Or you could just unistall and re-install your Internet ISP software.

Meshuga 05:20 30 Dec 2003

Thanks everybody. Have done as ELECTRON99 suggested and OK now. Still don`t know what caused it. Am working on the emailing problem but think that may be unrelated to the other problem.
Regards. Meshuga.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?