white flash between pages

Analyst02 16:29 22 Oct 2004

some of you know.. as from numerous previous posts i am in the middle of designing my own site.

I have altogether 6 pages. But... when i click on the link to go from way page to another, either back or forward, there is a white flash just preceding the opening of the page. each page has a green textured background.
I have tried it in 3 different browsers and it happens in all 3 of them, Any ideas what is causing this flash to happen just as the page opens?

Analyst02 20:44 23 Oct 2004

Thanks for the ideas in sorting this problem out.

i think your second suggestion might me the way to go.

all pages are pretty basic to say the least and are local as still building.

am using WYSIWYG (dreamweaver MX) programs as not fully conversant with writing code.

would a debugger pick up this missing tag that you mentioned?

Analyst02 00:06 24 Oct 2004

tried the W3C checker and it found 6 errors.

have pasted them here for you if you fancy a muse over them.

very helpful. thanks.

Below are the results of attempting to parse this document with an SGML parser.

Line 10, column 92: value of attribute "ALIGN"

cannot be "ABSMIDDLE"; must be one

of "TOP", "MIDDLE", "BOTTOM", "LEFT", "RIGHT"

...th="209" height="46" align="absmiddle"></p>

The value of the attribute is defined to be one of a list of possible values but in the document it contained something that is not allowed for that type of attribute. For instance, the “selected” attribute must be either minimized as “selected” or spelled out in full as “selected="selected"”; a value like “selected="true"” is not allowed.

?

Line 10, column 93: required attribute "ALT" not specified

...h="209" height="46" align="absmiddle"></p>

The attribute given above is required for an element that you've used, but you have omitted it. For instance, in most HTML and XHTML document types the "type" attribute is required on the "script" element and the "alt" attribute is required for the "img" element.

Typical values for type are type="text/css" for <style> and type="text/javascript" for <script>.

?

Line 12, column 128: value of attribute "ALIGN" cannot be "ABSMIDDLE"; must be one of "TOP", "MIDDLE", "BOTTOM", "LEFT", "RIGHT"

...ight="71" border="0" align="absmiddle"></a></p>

?

Line 14, column 95: value of attribute "ALIGN" cannot be "ABSMIDDLE"; must be one of "TOP", "MIDDLE", "BOTTOM", "LEFT", "RIGHT"

...h="383" height="169" align="absmiddle"></p>

?

Line 14, column 96: required attribute "ALT" not specified

...="383" height="169" align="absmiddle"></p>

?

Line 16, column 75: required attribute "ALT" not specified

...es/divider1x1.gif" width="539" height="74"> </h2>

?

Forum Editor 19:44 24 Oct 2004

It would make all this a lot easier.

fly2hi 20:04 01 Nov 2004

Quote...
The HTML 4.01 specification recommends that the meta information go as high up in the head section of the document as possible. This minimizes any flashing caused by browsers that re-render a page when encountering a new character set.

unquote...??

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?