White blank sreen after welcome on xp

chrisgc 12:16 19 Jun 2006

Hi all,

having problems with my dads pc.

he is running windows xp and upon booting up after the welcome screen is displayed the monitor just display a blank white screen!

The mouse pointer is visible but you are unable to open any programs as there is nothing there.

my dad informed that the last time it was working he was getting lots of pop ups which he had to close but since then it just displays the white blank screen.

the only thing which you can open up is the task manager via ctrl, alt & del keys.

Please can someone help.

Regards
Chris

recap 12:58 19 Jun 2006

Boot the PC into safe mode and run a anti-spy ware program, this may resolve the issue?

chrisgc 21:01 19 Jun 2006

Thanks for your reply about the white blamk screen.

How do I start pc in safe mode and if i start it in safe mode - if i have no anti-spyware programme installed how do i go about finding out what the white blank screen is.

also if starting in safe mode should windows load up properly ie. no white screen?

woodchip 21:10 19 Jun 2006

As computer starts keep pressing F5 top of list

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:13 19 Jun 2006

Tap f8 during boot up to get menu select safe mode.

Ewido click here download to your machine save on cd or pen drive and install on your dads nachine.

chrisgc 00:30 20 Jun 2006

When im in safe mode what will i be looking for exactly to enable me to fix and stop the white screen coming back?

woodchip 14:03 20 Jun 2006

Right click on Desktop\Properties opens up Display settings that you can check try. If it a flat screen monitor then it may be limited to resolution and the refresh rate should be 60Hz for a Crt Monitor should be no less than 75Hz but too much in Crt can destroy the monitor

chrisgc 16:33 20 Jun 2006

Thanks for info woodchip - unfortunately i cant even right click as when i do nothing comes up - it just remains a blank white screen - its as if xp is only half loading up??

woodchip 18:08 20 Jun 2006

You may be able to get from Start\Control Panel\Display

chrisgc 19:48 20 Jun 2006

Unfortunately that does start does not even come up so cant get to control panel\display, even if i press windows logo button on keyboard to get start up????

bof:) 20:07 20 Jun 2006

try this,
-Open task manager using CTRL-ALT-DELETE
-Press File then... NEw task .... Run
-Type in "desk.cpl" without the quote marks.

This should open up the display options (if you can see them)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone