Whining Noise at Start up

Rogmur 09:22 14 Jan 2006

Hi Forum Members

Upon booting up my PC I hear a hi-pitched whining noise, which stops once Windows XP loads.
I have checked this Forum for such a problem and came across the previous thread "Athlon Noise".
However, in 2004 I heard a similar noise upon booting up and then, my Hard Disk failed (and Mesh Computers fitted a new one).
Is it possible that my drive is about to fail again? If so is it possible for two hard drives should fail after just one year?
Or could it be just a CPU fan?

I would really appreciate any advice as this problem is causing me considerable anxiety.

Many thanks Rogmur

De Marcus™ 09:28 14 Jan 2006

Hello Rogmur, yes it's entirely plausible for a hd to fail within that time period and after a replacement. Damn unlucky though. Your best bet would be to open the case and just listen to the inside to see where the noise is emanating from. In the meantime backup all your work.

(PS, I'd personally suspect the hard drive as the noise seems to stop when windows is loaded)

Gongoozler 09:35 14 Jan 2006

As De Marcus™ says, this could be another hard drive fail, but it could also be a CPU fan. If it's a temperature controlled fan it might slow down after the CPU has finished the hard work of loading Windows and your start-up programs, it could also be that the fan just takes that long for the bearings to warm up. Either way, take the side panel off the case, get a sheet of A4 paper rolled into a long tube and use it as a listening tube to locate the source of the noise. Unfortunately it appears that with hard drives being so cheap these days, early failures are more common than they used to be.

jack 09:40 14 Jan 2006

HDD fail possible
CPU fan possible on start up and as Gongoozler says
settles after fan warms up
This can also be true of any other fan including Case
fan[s]
Listen out for them as suggested.
Also as case is open, and with the machine off a good opportunity for a little house work- Dust collected around and on fans blades can be a conributary factor.

Smiler 10:16 14 Jan 2006

You mention a thread about Athlon Noise could you post a link to it please as I cannot find it by searching the data base
Thank in anticipation

ICF 10:16 14 Jan 2006

I had this and it was the chip set fan.As previously said it could be any fan or the hard drive.

Rogmur 10:20 14 Jan 2006

Many thanks to
De Marcus, Gongoozler and Jack for your help,

I will open up the case and check CPU fan.

But if it turns out to be the hard drive, I will buy and install my own new hard drive rather than bother using Mesh Technical support again, (maybe Mesh use dodgy hard drives).

Kind regards Rogmur

johndrew 11:40 14 Jan 2006

It may be worth checking ALL fans and drives for noise. Sometimes bearing quieten as they warm up and all fans and HDDs have bearings. It would be wrong to assume it could only be the CPU fan at this stage.

I bet Mesh wouldn`t like your comment!!

kevinjuan 12:58 14 Jan 2006

My trouble was with the northbridge cooling fan on my Abit NF7-s. It seemed to make a noise when windows was loading, but it was just coincidence. When rebooting a warm pc I had no noise.

I have just changed it for a Zalman heatsink. Silence at last!

Totally-braindead 14:35 14 Jan 2006

I too have had problems with Northbridge fans failing on a Gigabyte GA7VAXP motherboard, even bought a new drive thinking it was that, only realised when I switched it on and the noise was still there. I also replaced the Northbridge fan with a Zalman heatsink as I has 3 fans fail in less than 2 years. I'm on a new board now a Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe and they too are seemingly prone to the Northbridge fan failing so I'll probably have to replace that.

It seems to me that the manufacturers are using really cheap fans on the Northbridge, and this is not just one manufacturer either. When you spend a large amount of money on a motherboard you wouldn't think it would be too much to ask for either a good quality fan being fitted on the Northbridge or a heatsink.

woodchip 14:38 14 Jan 2006

Check for CD DVD in drive. And something may be catching a Fan

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone