Whine from laptop

JimT 15:41 19 Jan 2011

I have a 5 year old Asus laptop which now whines loudly. It gets louder and higher as processing increases.

Is this the CPU? Is there a cure?

GaT7 15:53 19 Jan 2011

Similar problem was being discussed at the official Asus forums click here.

Possible solution at click here.

Which model do you have? G

JimT 16:04 19 Jan 2011

Thanks, Crossbow 7

My model is F3J and so the solution you gave does not apply as my registry entries are different.

GaT7 16:25 19 Jan 2011

See if this is any good click here. G

GaT7 16:26 19 Jan 2011

I know it says it's for Linux, but lower down it mentions:

"Interestingly on Windows XP SP2 the fan can be throttled with the Software Notebook Hardware Control (NHC click here) using its ACPI Control System. So it is possible to control the fan via ACPI, but somehow something on Linux prevents this from happening."

G

JimT 16:29 19 Jan 2011

Sorry, Crossbow7- too technical for me. I wouldn't like to risk it.

GaT7 17:03 19 Jan 2011

Did you download & install the program (click here) that was suggested? It'll be much easier with that program - probably use it to change couple of settings & you're done. G

JimT 17:15 19 Jan 2011

Thanks, Crossbow7. It worked as soon as I installed and ran it - I didn't do anything to the settings.

Is it the main fan or the CPU, and is there any danger of overheating?

GaT7 17:26 19 Jan 2011

Wow, didn't expect it to work that easily!

Don't think there'll be an overheating danger as it's only likely to make a small reduction to the fan speed (CPUs are also tougher than you think). You can frequently monitor the program's settings & temperatures(?) - see this page for details click here (& click on the headings to expand). G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?