Which wireless security should I use?

Halmer 09:45 07 Oct 2007

I have a linksys router and currently run one PC wirelessly. Had a look this morning at the settings (never done this before) and noted that it used WEP. Should I change this to improve security? The help text that I have read is duplicated below.

WEP
WEP is a basic encryption method, which is not as secure as later methods such as WPA-Personal or WPA2 Personal. However, it is supported by all clients. If using WEP, select a level of WEP encryption, 64-bit or 128-bit. If you want to use a Passphrase, then enter it in the Passphrase field and click the Generate button. If you want to enter the WEP key manually, then enter it in the WEP Key 1-4 field(s). To indicate which WEP key to use, select the appropriate TX Key number.

WPA-Personal
This method offers two encryption methods, TKIP and AES, with dynamic encryption keys. Select the type of encryption method you want to use, TKIP or AES. Enter the Passphrase, which can have 8 to 63 characters. Then enter the Key Renewal period, which instructs the Router how often it should change the encryption keys.

WPA2-Personal
This method offers AES encryption dynamic encryption keys. Enter the Passphrase, which can have 8 to 63 characters. Then enter the Key Renewal period, which instructs the Router how often it should change the encryption keys.

WPA2-Mixed
This option allows clients to use EITHER WPA-Personal OR WPA2-Personal Enter the Passphrase, which can have 8 to 63 characters. Then enter the Key Renewal period, which instructs the Router how often it should change the encryption keys.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:55 07 Oct 2007

If your wireless card/dongle allows it go for WPA2 if not then WPA.

Halmer 21:45 07 Oct 2007

vulnerable?

skidzy 21:52 07 Oct 2007

I run a network using WEP coupled with a third party firewall and the routers firewall.

This network consists of 6 computers and not been compromised to date.For your WEP key to be cracked is relatively easy with the software out there but you would have to be seriously unlucky to be hacked.

However it is the weakest form of security,but better than none.

The only reason i have not changed my from WEP,is that i will be installing a new router in due course,and i will select a higher form of security.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone