Which wireless router to buy?

filthyphil 08:48 03 Jan 2007

Hi all and happy new year,
I am with NTL BB and want to go wireless, not quite sure which is best to get? I also want to connect my kids laptop which is Toshiba satelite 1700 (quite old) obviously i will need to get a card or usb connector?? however on the laptop there is an ethernet connection i think, well it's the same size and is not phone modem.
Really need help with this one as i don't want to waste time and money for it not to work.
will it make any difference that PC is running xp home and laptop is running xp pro?
many thanks in advance.
phil..

mgmcc 08:55 03 Jan 2007

<<< I am with NTL BB and want to go wireless, not quite sure which is best to get? >>>

As NTL provide both Cable broadband and ADSL via the phone line, you need to indicate which of their services you use - the type of router required depends on this.

filthyphil 09:35 03 Jan 2007

my broadband is with cable connection

Gaz 25 12:25 03 Jan 2007

How much are you looking to spend?

An expensive one would be a Draytek Vigor 2910VG is great, and it also has VoIP built in:

click here

Or if your looking for cheap:

click here

Or: click here

Gaz 25 12:28 03 Jan 2007

Wireless USB:

click here

Internal PCI:

click here

Laptop PCMCIA:

click here

For reliability I do suggest the better quality draytek stuff, but netgears latest models are pretty stable from what I've seen.

Gaz 25 12:31 03 Jan 2007

Here is a selection:

click here

Watch out for the MIMO rangemax, if you buy that you will need MIMO rangemax cards/USB adapters.

Netgear WGR614 54G Wireless Router is good

Linksys WRT54GC Wireless broadband Router is respectable.

Draytek Vigor 2910VG is the best of the bunch.

Be aware of the Pre-n stuff, as mentioned you'd need the pre-n cards then - which are more expensive and it's still not a verified technology.

Strawballs 20:32 03 Jan 2007

click here any of these. I have NTL cable broad band and I use the linksys WRT54g and have for nearly 2 years without any problems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

30 UK artists have created vibrant posters celebrating Pride London

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?