Which wireless router

HokkaHokka 23:40 16 Aug 2014

Hello,

I'm moving home and am planning on chaging broadband provider to Xilo Talk & Surf unmetered click here have the option of either going with their routers (Technicolor 582N or Technicolor TG589vn at £43 & £46 respectively) or going with my own.

I'm not too convinced about the routers they are offering for the price but having never had wireless broadband before I am a bit confused about what I will need.

Achievable speeds in my area are around 7.5mb-15mb & the kids like games such as Club Penguin etc.

We also have a tablet which will run off the same router and I also occasionally download large files such as movies & games off of Steam.

What should I be looking at in terms of router to ensure I have a consistently good experience? I'm prepared to spead around £60 but will consider more if strongly recommended/a false economy.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

HH

I

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:18 17 Aug 2014

Very surprised they are charging for a router.

All the big companies give you a free router when you take out a contract (although the router is usually tied to the ISP and can't be used with other ISPs) and those prices aren't particularly cheap package prices anyway.

hastelloy 09:44 17 Aug 2014

IMHO you won't do better than Zen Internet

HokkaHokka 21:58 18 Aug 2014

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback so far...

I'm looking at the Netgear Wireless-N 300 Router at £44.02

click here it look decent or can I do better for a similar price?

Thanks

HH

Does

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?