which wireless router

  mrcrowuk 18:08 08 May 2009

i am on bt broadband with my pc. i want to connect my wifi laptops using a broadband router.
do i need to use a bt w/router or any make
if any make can anyone please suggest a good model with protection and to suit G connectivity.
i have two laptops and the older is G.
grateful for any advice

  ambra4 20:05 08 May 2009

“Do I need to use a BT w/router or any make”

No you do not have to use BT Router you can use any make of ASDL+2 Wireless Modem


Personal I like D Link or 3Com Routers but you can look at the following

D-Link Wireless G ADSL2+ Modem Router

click here

Linksys by Cisco Wireless-G ADSL Modem Router with SpeedBooster

click here

3Com OfficeConnect Wireless 54Mbps ADSL2/2+ Modem Firewall Router

click here

  mrcrowuk 20:46 08 May 2009

thanks i will follow up that info
and i think i can see now how to get N on my older laptop with a usb plug in thingy

  ambra4 02:36 09 May 2009

“I can see now how to get N on my older laptop with a usb plug in thingy”

If you want to use a Wireless-N USB Adapter you must use a Wireless-N Modem Router

Using a 300Mbps Wireless-N USB Adapter with a 54Mbps Wireless-G Modem Router the

300Mbps Wireless-N USB Adapter will not connect at the 300Mbps Wireless N Speed but at the

Wireless G 54Mbps Speed

In other words if the router is a Wireless-N Modem Router and you set the router to transmit at

Wireless N, only the wireless device with the wireless N card / USB adapter will connect

The wireless devices with an Wireless G card /USB adapter will never connect

The Wireless G System is not upward compatible with the Wireless N System

Where as the Wireless N System is downward compatible with the Wireless G System

If the router is a Wireless-N modem router and you set the router to transmit at

Wireless G, the wireless N card / N USB adapter will connect at the Wireless G 54Mbps Speed

plus all other Wireless G devices will connect

You must buy and install a separate 300Mbps N Card / N USB Adapter for each wireless device

you want to connect at the N speed.

So make sure that you get the correct type of Wireless modem router and Wireless Card / USB

Adapter that you want to use on your network

Hope that makes sense to you; the equipment in my first posting is for a standard Wireless G


Wireless N System Equipment

Linksys by Cisco Wireless-N ADSL2+ Gateway

click here

D-Link Wireless N ADSL2+ Modem Router

click here

3Com Wireless 11n ADSL Router Bundle with USB Adapter

click here

  dawood 15:56 09 May 2009

If you have DSL/Cable modem, then can just get a wireless router. If you have no modem, then you can get a modem router and set up your wireless network. Have a look on this wireless network setup tutorial to get more ideas click here .

  mrcrowuk 16:49 09 May 2009

i understand now the need for a N adaptor and an N router
i only thought N would be good for getting a larger range of signal, i dont use games etc so dont need it for that
i was going round in circles a bit with what i had googled before posting here regarding the 'best' wireless router as most had around 4 1/2 stars out of 5 and the worst results of those were in the order of " it wouldnt work and i sent it back, i will never touch X companies stuff again" right up to 5/5 "great item connected in 5 mins with no problems"
i think i will make life simple and get a G+ type router since although my newest laptop is N its only used in the home for video editing

  mrcrowuk 17:16 09 May 2009

breaking down those prices for a bundle shows me the 3com + usb a decent deal at £121 since the others offer adaptors at around £60

on reflection i feel the N products and the adaptor will allow me to take the G laptop into the garden and use the adaptor for longer range use.

its a ibm T60 laptop so i am not sure as to using a pc slot adaptor

many many thanks for the heads up...and that wireless tutorial was ace!


  ambra4 01:48 10 May 2009

Are you sure that the IBM T60 laptop does not have a build in wireless card?

Lenovo ThinkPad® T60 PC Notebook

click here

  mrcrowuk 13:56 10 May 2009

yes it does and its G
correct me if i am wrong..
to use N router i have to use the N adaptor supplied??
my other laptop is N so it should connect ok

  ambra4 15:48 10 May 2009


To use the Wireless N Router set to N you need to use a Wireless N Adapter

  mrcrowuk 15:09 11 May 2009

i see you say 'set to N'
can i buy a N router and use it for N and G
this would simplify the whole process of using 2 laptops...one N and one G
then if i find the G laptop would benefit from N i would then buy the adaptor
thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?