Which windows 7 ?

cap46 12:48 31 Oct 2009

Hi,I have been using the windows 7 R.c. for sometime now. Now that it has officialy been released, i am looking to buy windows 7 home premium. but which one? Can i use the upgrade version or is that only if your upgrading from windows xp, and what's the differance between the O.E.M. and Retail versions ?

gazzaho 16:06 31 Oct 2009

If you're going to install W7 onto one machine then a standard Home Premium upgrade will be fine, it will upgrade XP or Vista. If you have more than one machine then the Home Premium Upgrade Family Pack would be a good purchase as it allows you to upgrade 3 machines.

A retail Version can be installed onto any machine, if you have it installed on one computer then buy another without an OS you can install your retail version to the new one, as long as you uninstall it from the original, it can only be used by one machine.

With an O.E.M. version legally you would have to buy another licence for the new computer as it's only supposed to be used for the original computer it was installed to.

I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong about this, but I'm pretty sure I'm right.

cap46 20:41 31 Oct 2009

Thanks gazzaho for the information much appreciated

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?