Which webcam?

Simsy 07:47 27 Mar 2008

Folks,

Dad talsk to his brother, in USA, using skype. Brother has just got a webcam, and the principle has interested my dad, so he wants to get one...

It's his birthday in a couple of weeks, so I thought I'd get him one for his birthday pressie...

But I don't have a clue what to get! I've done a bit of reseach and realise that I need to consider the following;

Resolution
Frame Rate
Lens material, (plastic or glass)
Camera processing power.

I think I'd like to get something "better" rather than just the cheapest I can, so I guess that means going for one with a 620x480 resolution, with a price premium.

Frame rate I imagine that there wont be a great deal of difference between 25 and 30 fps.

And I presume that glass lens rather than plastic will make a big difference, though at a cost.

His internet connection is good, constantly approx 5Mg down. I don't know what his up is, but my down, (with the same provider, PLUSNET), is constantly also about 5Mg, with a constant up speed of 384, so I guess his is about the same.

His PC is several years old, but runs well. It's an Athlone 1.2Gig with 512Mg of RAM.

So I'd welcome any advice, and suggestions/recommendations of what to get? Budget would be approx £25-£30, but I could go up a little. £40 is probably the absolute max.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Simsy

anskyber 09:25 27 Mar 2008

I use Logitech and I am very pleased with the results.

Here are the choices (not saying you should get it from this link!) click here

anskyber 09:26 27 Mar 2008

PS I have the pro 5000 and it will do all you need.

Simsy 20:14 27 Mar 2008

but at the risk of appearing ungratefull I was hoping for more comments on the assessment of the features I should be looking for... (as well as a specific recommendation such as you gave, which I will consider carefully! Thanks.)

Anyone else care to throw any observations into the pile?

Regards,

Simsy

Technotiger 21:34 27 Mar 2008

If you look again at anskyber's link, click on some of the cameras shown, then have a look at the numerous Owners Reviews, this should give you a much better idea of feature assessments.
A little knowledge goes a long way!

Technotiger 21:38 27 Mar 2008

PS - I have very recently bought my son a Logitech Quickcam 4000Pro for his 4oth birthday, for use with Skype on his Mac. He lives in Lanzarote I am in UK. I had to search hard to find one, but eventually found one in the USofA which I bought.
Mostly excellent reviews from other users.

Technotiger 21:47 27 Mar 2008

I forgot to mention that you should not think too much in Ordinary Camera terms - we are talking webcams here are we not. A very good webcam that would more than cover your requirements is the Quickcam 9000Pro - but this would be no good to your Dad as his PC is just not powerful enough. The 9000 needs at least a 2.8GHz CPU to fully enable all the cameras' capabilities. So your choice of webcam must also check-out its minimum PC requirements.

clayton 00:09 28 Mar 2008

The Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000 is a very good cam but out of your price range @ £44 from pc world, Argos sell the Creative Live Cam Optia for £19.99
click here

woodchip 00:12 28 Mar 2008

As Logitech but make sure to get one with a mic built in. I have one but tend to use a Digital Camera as Web Cam

Technotiger 07:41 28 Mar 2008

Hi, my point about the QC Pro9000 was only to point out to Simsy, that he should not think too much in terms of 'super-cam', and that he should also take into account the Minimum Specs aspect of the various webcam's - as I said the 9000Pro would not work on his Dads' PC, the PC Specs are too low.

Technotiger 07:42 28 Mar 2008

or too High, whichever way one looks at it!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?