which web host (UK based please)

judivb1 17:02 15 Oct 2007

I'm very new to all this. I have just taken over management of the site for Severnside Institute for Psychotherapy. I have had dreadful problems with the folk who set it up and then hosted it. I want to change to a new web host. This will be the first time I've had direct dealing with a web host, and am very nervous about it, as that side of the web is verging on incomprehensible to me. I've done various searches for reviews and forum comments, and - of course - been frustrated by the different views on different hosts. I know some of you have already replied to a similar question before, but here goes -
Here's the list of hosts I've come up with to try, and hope for any experienced comments on these ...
Webhosting UK, Netweaver, Wiser Hosting, 1and1, Dataflame. Obviously customer support in basic language is vital to me! In case it's relevant, I use Dreamweaver CS3.
Judi

CodeMeister 20:17 15 Oct 2007

Hi judivb1,

First of all, it would help if you mentioned the type of hosting that you are looking for (e.g. Linux/PHP, Windows/ASP, Shared Server or Dedicated Server).

If it's PHP/MySQL that you are looking to host then Heart Internet look quite good and I believe that the Forum Editor is a reseller for Heart Internet.

Heart Internet have just introduced a Domain Privacy service as well, which looks interesting.

Have a look at the ISPA Awards website (see link below) for an independent opinion.

click here

As I said, it all depends on what you need to host, but consider the following:-

Zen click here

Eclipse click here

UK Fast click here

EHosting click here

Orchard click here

judivb1 10:23 16 Oct 2007

That was very helpful, thanks.

The site won't involve selling and will have fairly low traffic, so I'm looking at a shared server.

Eventually I want an enquiry form, and probably a search (from a name/area database). I don't need Flash.

I have a php script, written by someone else, which I know will work for the enquiry form. I know I'll need databases for the search facility, so suppose I'll need MS SQL or MySQL. Since I currently know neither ASP.NET nor php I'd like to be able to use either in time, so I'd like a host that will offer both. Is that possible?

The ones you recommend - you think their customer support is good?

CodeMeister 11:08 16 Oct 2007

Hi Judi,

I haven't personally dealt with Heart Internet (click here for their website), but their support is supposed to be very good and very quick.

P1d 11:37 16 Oct 2007

Just to throw in another......

I can recommend these click here

I host numerous sites with them and find them, very easy and reliable to use. They have live support which is also very handy.

Just my thoughts.

judivb1 12:11 16 Oct 2007

Thanks everyone
I'm finding your responses interesting, so please keep helping!

CodeMeister 13:12 16 Oct 2007

I'm sure that Web Mania are great, but if you go onto Microsoft Virtual Earth (click here for the website), enter their postcode (YO24 4AP) and then switch to "Aerial", it shows what looks like a residential house.

Patr100 13:56 16 Oct 2007

Webmania have been around for some time - Whether the business is registered at a residential area or not means little, or fancy sounding Office accomodation addresses. Its the service and reputation that matters and for many they have provided that. I have used then for a few years, but their very basic no frills comtrol panel means they won't suit everyone.

CodeMeister 14:09 16 Oct 2007

That's a fair point Patr100

WebBarbie 21:45 28 Oct 2007

I'm fairly new to this but have hosted 4 sites now with click here It's only about £32 for 2 years. They support php,asp.net and sql but I think this will incur more expense.
They have a ticket system for customer support which is very efficient but to be honest they've sometimes directed me to a page which I've already read and hasn't helped. But then I've worked it out. It costs nothing to take your domain away from them if you're not happy, so may be worth trying.

HighTower 23:11 29 Oct 2007

I've got over 80 sites with Heart Internet, and they are worth every penny.

Performance wise they are around the same as other reputable hosts, but they excel on the speed they answer support tickets. The quickest response has been less than a minute, the average being around 5 mins.

I really don't think you can go too far wrong with them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?